They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Inadvertently Cutting Video Tracks along CTI

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Inadvertently Cutting Video Tracks along CTI

Postby bryanedmondson » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi, I do not exactly understand the "why" or "when" of my problem occurring so I apologize if this question is vague.

While working in the video editor timeline I often notice that several of the video and or audio tracks on my timeline have unintentionally been cut in two. This happens when I am engrossed manipulating one clip and I somehow end up cutting other tracks, video and audio.
It is happening along the CTI where the line extends down perpendicular across the tracks on the timeline. I hate those translucent scissors that act to cut a track. I do not understand how to use the scissors properly. I will be at work for 20 minutes one one video track, cutting, pasting, reordering on video clip's segments. Then I look at the whole timeline and suddenly notice that some of my various other video and audio tracks on the timeline have also been cut into segments. I sometimes have other tracks cut at 3 locations.

In Premiere Pro, when I had this problem, I just inactivated the tracks I was not working on so the razor tool would not split the wrong clips. I see no way to inactivate or lock tracks in Premiere Elements.
Does anyone know what is occurring (what I am doing to myself.) I am bamboozles as to why all of this cutting is happening, and importantly, I wonder how I can avoid this?

Cut to Ribbons in Texas. :conf:

Bryan
Computer Specs: Dell XPS8500, Intel i7-3970X 15M Cache 4.00 GHz, RAM 64 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB Memory, System Volume: 1TB SATA 10,00 RPM Raid 0 Array, Scratch Disk: 240 GB Intel SSD Raid 0 Array,OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
bryanedmondson

Re: Inadvertently Cutting Video Tracks along CTI

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:46 pm

There may be two separate issues taking place here. First, if you don't have any tracks selected and use the scissors tool you'll cut all tracks at the CTI. But if you only want to cut one track, select it first (by clicking on it), then use the scissors. The other tracks will be unaffected. You can also select more than one track (Ctrl-click), but not all, and likewise the scissors will only cut the selected tracks.

The second issue may be due to the way other tracks behave when you move segments around and insert them at other places in the timeline. You might want to see this recent thread in which Steve Grisetti has included a link to a helpful tutorial:

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=11910
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:01 am

You may also be talking about rippling, which happens automatically in Premiere Elements unless you override it.

Rippling means that, when you add a clip to the middle of your movie project, all clips on parallel tracks will be split and moved right so that your new clip can be inserted.

If this is not what you intend to do, hold down the Ctrl key (the Cmd key on a Mac) when you add new clips to your timeline and all clips will remain in place as you add your new clips.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bryanedmondson » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:27 am

Dave McElderry wrote:There may be two separate issues taking place here. First, if you don't have any tracks selected and use the scissors tool you'll cut all tracks at the CTI. But if you only want to cut one track, select it first (by clicking on it), then use the scissors. The other tracks will be unaffected. You can also select more than one track (Ctrl-click), but not all, and likewise the scissors will only cut the selected tracks.

The second issue may be due to the way other tracks behave when you move segments around and insert them at other places in the timeline. You might want to see this recent thread in which Steve Grisetti has included a link to a helpful tutorial:

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=11910

Thanks Dave that makes sense. I have tried what you suggested and so I have not replicated the problem. It sure is nice to have people available who can answer what the adobe knowledge base does not seem to list :-5
Computer Specs: Dell XPS8500, Intel i7-3970X 15M Cache 4.00 GHz, RAM 64 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB Memory, System Volume: 1TB SATA 10,00 RPM Raid 0 Array, Scratch Disk: 240 GB Intel SSD Raid 0 Array,OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
bryanedmondson

Postby bryanedmondson » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:33 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:You may also be talking about rippling, which happens automatically in Premiere Elements unless you override it.

Rippling means that, when you add a clip to the middle of your movie project, all clips on parallel tracks will be split and moved right so that your new clip can be inserted.

If this is not what you intend to do, hold down the Ctrl key (the Cmd key on a Mac) when you add new clips to your timeline and all clips will remain in place as you add your new clips.

:TU: Thanks Steve. I am not that advanced but that is sure a headache solved that may happen in the future for me. Thanks for thinking of that.
bryanedmondson

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:39 am

Glad we could help you, Bryan!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby P1965 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:16 am

On the note about cutting the tracks, is there a way to undo this at a later date, sort of 'glue" it? (After the undo can not be used)
P1965
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:30 am

P1965 wrote:On the note about cutting the tracks, is there a way to undo this at a later date, sort of 'glue" it? (After the undo can not be used)

Not directly, but it doesn't make any difference whatsoever in the end product to have that cut in there if no frames have been removed.

BTW, welcome to Muvipix! :wcm:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:
P1965 wrote:On the note about cutting the tracks, is there a way to undo this at a later date, sort of 'glue" it? (After the undo can not be used)

Not directly, but it doesn't make any difference whatsoever in the end product to have that cut in there if no frames have been removed.

BTW, welcome to Muvipix! :wcm:

That feature (join Through Edits) is being added to the next release of Premiere Pro (CS6.5 or CS7):
http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013 ... e-pro.html

Maybe it'll trickle down to Pre El.
Peru

Postby P1965 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks for the replies and welcomes. :) Have been perusing the site for a couple weeks now before posting on the forum.
I know the cuts won't affect the final outcome but there has been occasion where I inadvertently trimmed some, and then later attempted to edit their keyframes and couldn't: - therefore having to reload the clip to obtain the results I wanted. Oh well.... :roll:
P1965
New User
New User

Postby videovillageidiot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:41 pm

P1965 wrote:I know the cuts won't affect the final outcome but there has been occasion where I inadvertently trimmed some, and then later attempted to edit their keyframes and couldn't: - therefore having to reload the clip to obtain the results I wanted. Oh well.... :roll:

Hi P1965...WELCOME to Muvipix!

Not sure if this will help in repairing keyframe issues, but you could "pull" the clip at the point of the cut to restore the clip to its desired length and get rid of the portion that was split off. To get the correct length, take the portion after the cut and place it on another track, lined up at the exact point of the cut. Then extend the clip on the original track until it matches the length of the cut portion (so the ends of the expanded original and split clips line up). Get rid of the clip that you placed on the other track. i tried this, using keyframes for scale and when i restored the clip to its original length, those keyframes were restored. Don't know if it will work for other keyframed values.

this sounds confusing and may not fix your issue...hopefully someone else may know if this is a good fix and, if so, can explain it better than i just did!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:32 am

videovillageidiot wrote:
Don't know if it will work for other keyframed values.

It will. Good explanation. :tup:
Peru

Return to PRE Version 11