They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Opening .prel file, created in PRE11on Imac, on Windows

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Opening .prel file, created in PRE11on Imac, on Windows

Postby robbie410 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:01 am

Having created slideshow using Imac and created and saved both the .prel and .log files in same location I am having trouble in then opening these creation on my laptop, Windows 7. Message states cannot find clips, giving clip filename. Should I have copied over another file, name or ext unknown to me, into the laptop as well?
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Opening .prel file, created in PRE11on Imac, on Windows

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:08 am

Premiere Elements project files are, unfortunately, not cross platform. Mac projects only open on Macs and PC projects only open on PCs.

Although are you saying you CAN open a Mac-created project on your laptop? You just lose the links with your media files?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 am

Hi, yes that is right. I can open the file on my laptop, it opens up PRE11, but it has lost the links to the media files. I can manage to track them down, as they are in the same transferred folder on a stick, but it will not pick them up automatically. I have to identify each one individually and it then goes onto the Timeline. The only exception are Titles. A very laborious process.
Not the end of the world but as I have an Imac at home and laptop in another location, both with respective Adobe programs, Mac and Windows, it would have been nice.
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:22 am

I'm still not sure how you're able to open a Mac-created project on a PC, Robbie. I just tried it and I can't do it. Is your Mac running Boot Camp or virtual Windows or something?

Regardless, yes, you will need to relink your media files, since you're moving to a completely different computer environment. Fortunately, if all of your media files are in the same folder, once you relink one, the program will relink the rest automatically.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:37 am

Well Steve I am not running anything special on my Imac, just an amateur anyway. Unfortunately once I linked one picture, jpg, it did not do the rest automatically. In fact, although I am getting them individually onto the Timeline am not totally sure whether I can edit them on the Timeline. I believe that I did manage, as I wanted to continue on work I had already begun, but next time I am location with laptop will certainly try again and will let you know. I do know that I could not find a Title that was originally used. How interesting. I did mention that I am using a Stick to transfer the .log and .prel folders between computers. I have installed the Mac version of PRE!! on Imac and the Windows version on the laptop. Organiser was of course empty on the laptop, so maybe I will try to get all of the required photos into Organiser and maybe then the jpg's will be automatically found after the first identification.
Further information next week.
Robert :ha:
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:44 am

Hello, back again with further information about how I re created a project in PE11, made on my Imac, to open on another computer running Windows 7. There is good and bad news but as I said I would try again so here is what I did and how far I was able to get.
Having saved project and all working folders onto a stick I opened the project, given name, in PE11 for Windows. PE11 opened with a drop down window asking "where is the file ?????.jpg. Go to the location of the file and open. (If you do not know where the file is go search and locate its location. I had also saved base files on the stick as I was going to different location)
A further frop down box opens asking again for further file. This time click "skip All" on the bottom of the drop down box, and all the missing files open on the Timeline. ( Certain files may not be filled on the Timeline eg titles.) Titles can be recreated.
You can work on the project moving, clipping or whatever.
Then the disappointment - you cannot render the project and if you try it closes program down. So Steve, you are right again, you said you could not make it work.
Should you have any further thoughts though please let me know.
Hope you found this test interesting anyway.

Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Unfortunately, you're in uncharted territory with this one, Robbie. I've never been able to open a PC Premiere Elements project on a Mac or vice versa. So that you got as far as you did is beyond my experience. Sorry.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 11