They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Question about using text

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Question about using text

Postby dmudie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:10 pm

I just went through your course on Lynda . Com last night. It will save me a lot of time, so thanks.

Unfortunately, I did not see the answer to my primary question. It is regarding text.

I need to create a video that is primarily text and narration, with perhaps a few images - similar to the PowerPoint type presentations people create with camtasia. I thought that using Premiere Elements would work better because it would allow me more control over the timing of the narration.

I have no problem placing a default text item on video 1 and setting it the way I want it. The problem is with the next item(s). When I add it, it looks identical to the first item. If I change the second item, it changes the first item as well. From my previous experience with flash/video editing software, I thought that maybe I needed to add a key frame, but that has no effect on the problem.

So, please, How do I have a video made up of multiple, different, text items (so that I can transition form one to the next).

Thanks,

David.
dmudie
New User
New User

Re: Question about using text

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:33 pm

How are you adding the second item? You need to create a completely new title for the second item. It sounds like you either duplicated or reused the previous item instead.

Are you trying to trying to simulate the powerpoint effect of adding additional bullet items to the same slide or are you simply going from one text block slide to another?
Bob

Postby dmudie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for responding.

In terms of "the PowerPoint effect" where you add additional bullets; yes, that's similar to what I'm going for. I have a script that I am narrating with. I want lines to appear on the screen as they are being read. Each line is a few words, so the idea was to time the end of one text item and the beginning of the next, which includes the next few words to the narration.

I tried several methods. First, I tried copying the first text item and adding the next line to it. That obviously didn't work. I realized that the copy was more of a "virtual pointer" and so I was changing the "master copy" that both items were "pointing to".

I then tried using the menu selection "Text | New Text | Default Text" twice, one for each of the test text items. Even when I did this, any changes I made in one text item were reflected in the other.

If there is some other way I should be approaching this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

David.
dmudie
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:50 pm

Using the menu selection "Text | New Text | Default Text" should work. Are you using Quick view or Expert view?

Try this: Create and finish the first title, then move the current time indicator (CTI) past the first title, and then create the second title. Does the first title still change?
Bob

Postby dmudie » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:18 am

I thought I tried both quick and expert mode; however... when I tested it in response to your last post it worked. So I was obviously doing something wrong. Thank you for your help.

David.
dmudie
New User
New User

Postby dmeginniss » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:05 pm

I've found that the "duplicate" command works to do what you want. Type your first bullet. Duplicate the text block and drag it down to the timeline. Then double click and add your second bullet and so on. It's tedious, but it works.
dmeginniss
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 11