They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PRE11 - Can you edit AVCHD Hi-Def, then convert to Std-Def?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

PRE11 - Can you edit AVCHD Hi-Def, then convert to Std-Def?

Postby JBCoons » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:43 am

I video horse shows in Standard Definition, Wide Screen. For many years I have used PRE3 to edit and create 100's of DVD and uploads to YouTube for my clients. I also use PRE11, but only to convert AVIs exported from PRE3 for uploading to YouTube. It is time for me to move from a tape-based camera (a Canon XH-A1) to a card-based AVCHD camera. I would like to video everything in HD, then "convert" the video to SD for producing DVDs, as I anticipate many clients will be wanting the "BluRay version" of their videos and the higher res that YouTube offers. So what's a good way to do this - can I video everything in AVCHD high-def, edit in PRE11, then use some function in PRE11 to "convert the timeline" to standard def? (Most of my DVDs are 8 to 20 minutes in length). If so, how good is the quality? Thanks in advance for any comments or advice!
JBCoons
New User
New User

Re: PRE11 - Can you edit AVCHD Hi-Def, then convert to Std-D

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:44 am

First of all welcome to Muvipix. :meet:

As far as your query goes, yes you can record in HD and produce both BluRay and SD DVDs.

I regret that I am not a PrEl user so I can't give you details about how to organise your workflow. Someone who does use PrEl should be along shortly to help you out on that score. But, basically, you can do what you seek to achieve. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:01 am

The quality is excellent -- assuming your camcorder shoots excellent video, of course.

You can output a DVD directly from an AVCHD project. No need to convert the files to anything.

As for outputting video for YouTube, I wouldn't recommend you output AVIs. They don't make for the best YouTube videos.

Rather, go to Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD and look at the list presets available. At the bottom of this drop-down menu you'll see some great formats for outputting video for YouTube!

And welcome to Muvipix! It's great to have you aboard.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:34 am

Nothing to add to Steve's great advice -- just wanted to add my welcome to you. :wave:
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:49 am

Welcome JB! :wcm:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby JBCoons » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 am

JBCoons wrote: I also use PRE11, but only to convert AVIs exported from PRE3 for uploading to YouTube.

I did not explain myself very well in the above statement.... this is "why" and "how" I upload video to YouTube.

As I said, I video clients at horse shows and produce DVDs. Each DVD has video of their horse in - maybe - 4 or more classes, each class perhaps 2 minutes in length. Later they decide to sell their horse (and buy another one) so they might call me and ask, "John, could you upload the 3rd class from the May 2012 show to YouTube so I can email the link to a lady in Florida who is interested in buying my horse?" (These horses sometimes sell for $50K to over $250K!) What I now do when a client wants a video uploaded to YouTube is to open their project that I previously built in PE3, set the workarea bar over the requested class, export that video from PRE3 to an AVI, then open up PRE11, drop the AVI onto the timeline and use the "share to YouTube" as you suggested. (I did use PRE10 before PRE11 to do this... and before that I used QuickTIme Pro to convert the AVI to H.264/MOV format and upload that, but PRE10 had a much better implementation of H.264 than either PRE3 or QuickTime Pro).

What you are telling me about PRE11 is that I can shoot in AVCHD HD, edit, then if/when I output to standard def DVD and it renders the video on the timeline it will see that it needs to convert to standard def and do so, correct? That sounds just what I need! I can shoot all video at a show in HD and offer my clients "standard def or BluRay" DVDs, and when they want uploads to YouTube I can "share" in high-def. Sorta "have my cake and eat it too," yes?
JBCoons
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:59 am

Correct.

But, again, there is no reason to output an AVI and use it to create your YouTube upload. Using the Work Area Bar to define a region of your timeline, you can create a YouTube video of only a segment of your movie.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:42 pm

I've only done it once, but it seems to me that when I made a standard def DVD from an HD source movie, the sides got cropped slightly to accommodate the 4:3 screen ratio. Other than that, I remember it being a piece of cake to do.
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:11 pm

You have the option of exporting to any format or burning to a DVD or Blu Ray disc. I believe the SD quality to be better when converted from an HD project. If you are in the market for a new camera I would recommend a digital SLR that records 1080p video, the quality is amazing !! The Canon XH-A1 is a High Definition camera, why switch as that is a very nice camera? I've used the XH-A1 often and really like it, even works pretty well in low light.

Welcome to Muvipix :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:44 pm

High definition has a widescreen 16:9 frame aspect ratio. A standard definition DVD can be either 4:3 or widescreen 16:9. Choose the widescreen preset when sharing a high def project to DVD and the frame aspect ratios will match.

Should the widescreen DVD need to be played on an old style 4:3 TV, the DVD player can be set to display either a letterboxed version showing all the content or zoomed to fill the height but clip the sides.
Bob

Postby JBCoons » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Gerry wrote:I've only done it once, but it seems to me that when I made a standard def DVD from an HD source movie, the sides got cropped slightly to accommodate the 4:3 screen ratio.

NEVERMIND THIS POST - I see it was answered before I made the comments below....

Your comment raises a VERY important question - I want to "convert" HD video (on the timeline) to an SD DVD in WIDESCREEN, which is 16:9 aspect ratio. Of course 4:3 video has pixels that are taller than they are wide, while 16:9 video has pixels that are wider than they are tall (as compared to still-image JPGs that have square pixels).

So when "outputting" to a standard def DVD is there an option in PRE11 that lets you select widescreen (which should NOT crop the sides)?
JBCoons
New User
New User

Postby JBCoons » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:But, again, there is no reason to output an AVI and use it to create your YouTube upload.

Steve - The only reason I output to an AVI is because the project was created in PRE3 and I want to use the "YouTube" interface built into PRE11. So I open the project with PRE3. Are you telling me I can open the PRE3 project with PRE11 and still have my edits/transitions that I made in the video when I created and saved the project in PRE3? If so, that would be a real timesaver!
JBCoons
New User
New User

Postby JBCoons » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:If you are in the market for a new camera I would recommend a digital SLR that records 1080p video, the quality is amazing !! The Canon XH-A1 is a High Definition camera, why switch as that is a very nice camera? I've used the XH-A1 often and really like it, even works pretty well in low light.

Chuck - I am not abandoning my XH-A1... I love it - especially the incredible lens... but want to move into the tapeless world. I live in paranoid fear the mechanical tape mechanism will break. Having a second camera will give me a backup. I am looking at the Panasonic AG-AC90 - it and most of the other new models just introduced have 2 SD slots and allow duplicate recording so if/when one card is corrupted, you have your video on the other card. Another very useful feature for me is 3 second pre-recording - while waiting for the record button to be pushed the camera is constantly recording "the 3 seconds" before the button is pushed. Now I have my camera focused on the entry gate to the show ring - there are several riders facing me across the show ring who could enter - I am looking at the "wrong" horse (yes, they have numbers but on their backs and they all look the same - blue coats, black helmets, brown horses). My goal is to start the video as they enter the ring and that 3-second pre-record would give me the safety I need if I am literally "asleep at the switch."

I have a Nikon D7000 DSLR which can produce really nice HD, but the problem (for equestrian video) with all DSLRs is that they have a shallow depth-of-field (for focus) because of their larger sensors. That makes them perfect for serious movie makers because it blurs out the background, but I need great depth-of-field because I am videoing a horse moving 15-18 MPH across jumps from 8 to 50 meters from me - I cannot use auto focus, it won't work on a fast moving object - I focus at the middle of the ring and the great depth-of-field of the small sensor video cameras keeps everything in sharp focus. I also need at least 12-14X zoom capability and variable-speed zoom control via a front-back rocker switch, plus XLR microphone connectivity with 48v DC power supplied by the camera to the mics.

Many people are moving to DSLRs, but for my specialized field they (unfortunately) will not work.

John
JBCoons
New User
New User

Postby Gerry » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:44 pm

Don't forget that Four Thirds DSLRs have smaller sensors (as do Micro Four Thirds cameras), and as such don't have as narrow a depth of field as do full-frame DSLRs. They're great for video, but not so great when you WANT that shallow depth of field in stills. BTW, my Olympus OM-D is a Micro Four Thirds that shoots stunning HD 1080i video.
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:50 pm

JBCoons wrote:I live in paranoid fear the mechanical tape mechanism will break. Having a second camera will give me a backup.

Hi John,
I wouldn't worry too much about anything on the XH-A1 breaking, we've got 1000's of hours on two of them and no problems at all :)
Understand the desire for a backup and a tapeless one at that :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 11