They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Video Stabilizer

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Video Stabilizer

Postby dwlmgold » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:49 am

I shoot underwater video (I have some links in the gallery) and I am interested in using/understanding the Video Stabilizer in PRE 11. Steve's book was under the Christmas tree but there is minimal coverage for using the adjustments for this applied effect.

Any help/discussion would be appreciated.
dwlmgold
New User
New User

Re: Video Stabilizer

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:10 am

Glad to hear Santa was especially good to you this year, dwlm!

Using the Stabilizer is really pretty automatic. It's located in your Effects, under the Stabilize category.

Once you've applied it to a clip your timeline,it will do a pretty good job at default settings. Naturally, it will work best if you're focused on an fairly stable subject, since it bases its settings on what it recognizes and then tries to keep center frame.

Otherwise, you can adjust your settings based on the amount of stabilization and amount of zoom. The more stabilization you apply, the closer the effect has to zoom into your picture -- so the lower the quality of the image.

Have you tried it yet? As I say, it's really pretty automatic. So give it a try and let us know if you have any questions.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:09 pm

The video stablizer analyses the motion in the image and tries to determine which is due to the camera moving and which is due to objects in the frame moving. It then attempts to correct for the camera motion. The amount of stablization applied is controlled by the smoothness control. Turned down, only the smallest jitter is compensated for. Turned up, you can pretty much lock down large movements. If you are panning or otherwise deliberately moving the camera (simulating a dolly shot for example), setting smoothness high will attempt to lock down the shot and remove those motions. That's most likely not what you intended. You want to set smoothness to a value that will remove jitter but not remove desired camera motion.

After you determine the desired degree of smoothness, you can specify how the blank edges that are exposed by the stabilization are to be handled. You can fill in from the original image (which works best with very small jitter), or you can zoom into the image to hide the edges.
Bob

Postby dwlmgold » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:39 am

Thank you both. I have tried it and your responses have addressed some of my issues. I had problems as I was attempting to set both smoothness and zoom. Steve's response in the Adobe forum addressed that.

I also learned to shoot higher resolution so when I zoom into the video, there is more there. The zoom in my Calvin's Crack swimthrough (in the gallery) resulted in considerable noise in dark areas. Some of this is attributable to my camera (GoPro).

I was also looking to see if I could control how the zoom was taken. The charging morey clip (allso in the gallery) lost some of the up close and personal video of the morey in the zoom. I was hoping to reset the center of the clip to keep the bottom of the frame. Oh well.

The effect is really quite remarkable.

Thanks again.

Don
dwlmgold
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:41 am

Sounds like a success story to me, Don!

If you're willing to share, we'd love to see a sampling of your final result. You can post it on YouTube or Vimeo and post the link here. Or, if you output your video at internet resolution, you can post it to the Muvipix Gallery.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby dwlmgold » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:59 pm

They are in the MoviPix Gallery

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... 193%29.wmv

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... 187%29.wmv

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... Spades.wmv

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/23377/Moray.wmv

These represent my first dives with the GoPro and first experience with PRE 11. I had a red filter on the camera to enhance the color (kill some of the blue). The lighting was ambient. All in all I am quite satisfied but know that I will do better with your reference book. I got more of the moray than on some attempts with this one. The beeping on the moray clip is my dive computer telling me not to breath so hard. I guess I was a little excited.

I have to tell people to double click the image to see the video full frame but I am sure you know that.
dwlmgold
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:42 pm

That's great stuff! Is that wire coral at 2:40 in the second vid? When I first saw it I thought that it was wire, but then I read about wire coral. I don't think I could have kept my cool with that moray eel. I've seen the teeth on those guys.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Paul LS » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:32 am

I would have been out of there if that Moray eel had been coming my way... :) Great videos. :)
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 11