They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How many versions of PRE do you have?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

How many versions of PRE do you have?

Postby cincinedit » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:03 pm

I have been using PRE for years starting with version 2.0 On my current Windows 7 64 bit computer I have installed.

Photoshop elements 7.0
PRE 7.0
Photoshop elements 9.0
Pre 9.0
Pre 10.0

I now have purchased photoshop elements and PRE 11. I have not installed it yet. I was wondering if I need to remove at least version 7. I have not used it in a while although I am sure there are some files I might need. I tried opening a PRE 7.0 file in PRE 10.0 and it would not open it. I am not running out of room on my system hard drive yet but it is approaching 75%. I store my media on an external drive.

Is there any problem having all these versions on my computer??? Do others have that many on their computer???
cincinedit

Re: How many versions of PRE do you have?

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:47 pm

At this moment I have Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements of V7, V9, V10, and V11 installed on both my desktop and laptop machines. I don't use V9, except as a reference in case someone asks about a feature in it. I really like V7 for SD and it has quite a few features that are missing in later versions. I liked V10 for when I started working in AVCHD. I haven't spent much time with V11, but from what I've seen I think it may very easily be my favorite. I'm VERY impressed with its ability to handle AVCHD - a significant improvement over V10. And I'm surprised to say that I really like the interface too. They've done a lot that really makes sense and makes it easier to work with certain features.
:exc:

There's no problem leaving previous versions installed when installing new versions. They operate independently. However, depending on which versions are involved, you'll meet with differing results when opening older projects in newer versions. Mostly it's not recommended, but at the very least you need to make sure that you've got copies of your original project before trying it. You can't go back and reopen them in the previous version.

What size is your system drive? 25% free is probably plenty unless it's a very small drive. In most cases the rule is to never fill fuller than 90%, and preferably not that much.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby cincinedit » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks for the info. I see that I am also not the only one who avoided PRE 8

I have a 1 TB hard drive. I do have some house cleaning I can do on it to free up some space.
cincinedit

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:28 pm

That's a lot of free space yet on a 1TB drive. I don't think you have to worry for a while. Yeah, I think most agree that V8 was a dud.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:06 am

Dave McElderry wrote: I really like V7 for SD and it has quite a few features that are missing in later versions.

My work consists almost exclusively of HD slide shows that I create with PRE7 and that I "share" to Blu-ray discs and to external HDDs as MPEG2 1920 x 1080i 30 (.m2t)

I continue to use PRE7 for the reason that Dave states: "it has quite a few features that are missing in later versions."

PRE7, btw, runs flawlessly on the OS in my signature, which is the same one that the you (the OP) use.

However, for editing my siides, I now use PSE11 which, thanks to a post by RJ, I can now access from the PSE7 Organizer, whose Slide Show Editor is what I use for the preliminary assembly of the slides before "sending" them to PRE7 for the final edit before sharing.

Bottom line: Don't uninstall PRE7 as you, too, may discover that it has some features that you "just can't live without."

Steve, is there any reason that, if the OP is dealing with AVCHD, he cannot edit it with PRE11 and then share it to Personal Computer (as MPEG2 1920 x 1080i 30=.m2t which is "native" to PRE7) prior to re-editing it with PRE7, if he discovers that there are features in PRE7 that he thinks are "must haves"?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40 am

> Is there any reason that, if the OP is dealing with AVCHD, he cannot edit it with PRE11 and then share it to Personal Computer (as MPEG2 1920 x 1080i 30=.m2t which is "native" to PRE7) prior to re-editing it with PRE7?

That's not a bad idea at all, George! Although, for editing in version 7, I might recommend using Publish & Share/Computer/MPEG using the 1440x1080 30i preset. This will create a hi-def file that will edit very efficiently in a version 7 project set up for HDV.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:43 am

That may come in very handy one of these days. Thanks George and Steve!
:exc:

Dave McElderry

Return to PRE Version 11