They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to crop a .MPEG-2 file from the bottom - NO Premiere

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

How to crop a .MPEG-2 file from the bottom - NO Premiere

Postby MGadAllah » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:49 am

Hello dear friends,

It is really very nice to be here once again and wish you all the best.

I used to use Adobe Premiere as fine with no issues but due to time consuming with Adobe Media Encoder I am thinking of using other tool in the current projects.

I am recording using TVB-S 420 PCI card, using myTEVii , MyTheatre v.3.38.5 TeVii DVBCore v5.91.93
myTeVii.png

- I used to use Mpg2Cut2 to cut unwanted parts as fine without losing any quality at all. Extremely too fast to do the edit and cut unwanted parts of the video without losing any quality at all and it happen in few seconds or 2 or 3 minutes maximum while is amazing in the current project which is a time sensitive.

- The problem I've now is that I've some annoying bars at the bottom of the screen that I'd like to remove like those in the following picture:-
bars.jpg

So is there any tool that I can use to do the crop for these bars at the bottom without losing any quality.

Thanks a lot and much appreciated your time and sorry if it is a silly question or redundant.

One last thing I forget to mention that the material fails to public domain or has a Creative Commons license and it is public to be used by others under fair use ... Do not know how to express it the right way but the main point that it will not consider a violation of copy right law here in Egypt.

The main purpose for the clips I am making is to upload them to both You-tube.com and Archive.org ... I will not use any DVDs at all.
I will upload a .avi and a .rmvb to Archive.org and link them to my blog so users may download the various episodes easily. The second step will be to upload the clip to YouTube for those who only visiting YouTube and do not visit my blog.
This is the situation in details if it make any differ in your point of view.

Mohamed GadAllah
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: How to crop a .MPEG-2 file from the bottom - NO Premiere

Postby Paul LS » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:48 am

Unfortunately any tool you will use will require that the frames are re-rendered so losing some quality. The crop tool in Premiere can do this.

I am not too sure of the wording to use for free use of the material in the public domain. I am sure someone will be able to help though.

There is a site here which discusses Fair Use, Acceptable Use, and Creative Commons.
http://www.royaltyfreemusic.com/public- ... r-use.html
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby MGadAllah » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:55 am

Thanks a lot for your help my friend.

Paul LS wrote:Unfortunately any tool you will use will require that the frames are re-rendered so losing some quality. The crop tool in Premiere can do this.
Yes it does but it is a time consuming and I am looking forward for something working more quickly.
Paul LS wrote:I am not too sure of the wording to use for free use of the material in the public domain. I am sure someone will be able to help though.
I mean that I am not violating any copy right law in Egypt.
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:12 am

The reason those bars show up on the side is because you're coming from television video to computer video. There is a slight difference in the size of the video frame -- although these bars will now show up on a TV because all TVs cut a little bit off the sides of any video.

If you absolutely need to trim off these bars on the sides, the only solution, as Paul says, is to set the scale a little higher (105%?) to enlarge the picture a bit. But, as Paul says, this will mean re-rendering the entire video, which could result in a very slight loss of quality. (Probably not enough to notice.) It might also take a long time, depending on how long your video is and if this is high-definition video.

Unfortunately, there is no way to remove these bars from the side without some sort of re-rendering though.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MGadAllah » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:14 am

Well, which toll you would suggest to be used in such cases?
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:39 am

I would recommend leaving it as it is. Most people won't even notice!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Steve, Mohamed is trying to crop part of the lower 3rd.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:21 pm

I just said the same thing, but my post disappeared !?!?

Mohamed, you have two choices. Crop off the bottom or overlay the bars with a suitable colored matte. Either way, the video will have to be rendered and encoded. That will be slow regardless of which tool you use. An editor, such as Premiere Pro CS5, that can use the graphics card for hardware acceleration will be much faster. But, you would need a suitable graphics card.
Bob

Postby MGadAllah » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:40 am

I am using ATI Radeon 4850 1 GB
Actually the problem with Premiere that it is consuming or takes a lot of times, and while Premiere can do everything I am looking for, but I am looking forward to find some other tool free or paid to do the same job in a less time.
I've tried to use virutaldub but really it is really too hard for me to use it.
Please advise and thanks a lot and much appreciated.
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Video Editors