They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Video Editor Choice advise please

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Video Editor Choice advise please

Postby UnclePaul » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:28 am

I don't own a video editor at present, but recently had to do a slide show and eventually wanted it on DVD for a user in our community and found the Sony DVD Architect Studio quite nice and decided to purchase it as soon as I could afford as I used the trial up till it expired. (Project obviously not completed yet.)

The same user then brought some very old vcr tapes for me to capture and put on the DVD as well, so I decided to download the trial Sony Vegas 10 studio as if I like it, I can purchase it together with the architect and save a few dollars.

However, not sure if this is my best choice as maybe I should rather get another video editor and the DVD architect seperately.

I do like the Vegas crop facility, helped to crop the poor video recording to remove side noise, wobble etc.

But I can't see anything to help remove video noise, rather poor some of it and was not sure if some other editor could do this thing better, cropping, remove video noise etc and still do the basic editing.

So far I like the Vegas and if it can do the job well, would like to stay with it as I have already gotten a bit over the initial learning curve.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards

Paul
UnclePaul
New User
New User

Re: Video Editor Choice advise please

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:55 am

Hi Paul, Welcome to Muvipix :meet:

Since you already have tried Vegas and like it I think that would be a good fit for you. Vegas is a great editor and I'm sure you will enjoy it, there are many Vegas users here that can give you a hand when needed also.

As far as video noise goes, there is a great plugin that is not very expensive.
Many of the folks here at Muvipix use it including me.
There is a demo you can try out here
http://www.neatvideo.com/download.html
It will be the best $50 you ever spend on a plugin :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:03 am

I agree with Chuck! Vegas is an excellent program -- both in its Movie Studio and Pro versions -- and you won't be disappointed. It makes an excellent companion for DVD Architect, since DVD Architect is really more for DVD and BluRay disc authoring and is not really much of a video editor on its own.

As you may know, we have already published one book on DVD Architect Studio. I'm currently working on a book for Vegas Movie Studio HD, and we plan to expand our coverage and support of these products in the coming months.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby UnclePaul » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks for the replies so far, really appreciate it.

Will try the noise plugin and see how it goes.

Reagrds

paul
UnclePaul
New User
New User

Postby BobWard » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:02 pm

I purchased the Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10 HD Platinum Production Suite about 7 months ago and have been very happy with it. That package gives you VMS 10, DVD Architect Studio 5, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10, plus several additional plug-ins and audio sound tracks. I think it is one of the best "bang for the buck" values around, I paid $89 for the package through Amazon.

The software has worked flawlessly for me and if you do run into any problems or need help with a particular operation, these forums are a great place to get help. There are numerous tools in the software to help improve old VHS tape videos, but they can only do so much depending on the quality of the original video. I think most of the video editors on the market today have similar tools.

Bob
BobWard

Postby UnclePaul » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks Bob, glad to hear its working so well.

I actually did look at Amazon etc, Newegg has cheapest at the moment for the HD platinum, but all these are either USA exclusive or if available to me in South Africa, cost so much to ship it becomes cheaper to just get it from the Sony download site.

I had contacted one of the Sony agents in our country to see if they might have a nice deal, but still waiting for a reply.

Either way, I think its definately the platinum set, just not sure if the extra %24.99 for the sound forge studio is worth it, was going to just use Audacity etc for the audio if and when required to save money as I actually don't normally do video etc, first time ever, just wanted to help someone compile a history of their ministry and got into this stuff, thats why I am trying to get best value for money.

Thanks again for your feedback as well as Chuck and Steve.

Regards

Paul
UnclePaul
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:35 pm

Remember, Paul, you don't just get Sound Forge with the Production Suite. You also get sound effects and music clips. It's really a great bundle for the price!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby UnclePaul » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks Steve, half forgot about that, reason I pushed it asside is that I only have wireless download, 2GB a month, EDGE speed max when I am very lucky, so was not going to download them, thats why I am shopping at the moment for a package deal as this will svae me on that part if it comes in at a fair price with shipping, already got the DVD architect, Vegas HD and sound forge down over the last month or so to test, just would need the balance if I opt for the suite.

Just if I may ask, how good are these extras, assuming I have to end up downloading.

Regards

Paul
UnclePaul
New User
New User

Postby Chris B » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:00 pm

The downloads are OK - not used them much. The tutorial video is a good start - but nothing fantastic. The "Newblue" effects I have however found worth it as there's some useful stuff in there.

Note that you can "upgrade" from DVD Architect to a Vegas package. If I've changed to the right country then the upgrade price is $64.95 for Studio HD Platinum and $84.95 for the production suite.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby hpharley90 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:53 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm currently working on a book for Vegas Movie Studio HD, and we plan to expand our coverage and support of these products in the coming months.

Great ! :yh:
I bought VMSHD Platinum 10.0 seven months or so ago and have not been able to get a handle on it.(I'm so used to PE2.0)
And therefore have not made a disc with DVD Architect studio 5.0.
Looking for that book. =D>
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby UnclePaul » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:29 am

Just to say thanks again for all the advise.

Have gone for the download of the Vegas studio Hd platinum suite as it was about 10% cheaper than the local box version of the vanila set.

Will pop by as and when I get stuck etc.

Regards

Paul
UnclePaul
New User
New User

Postby AVITRY » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:54 pm

hpharley90 wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm currently working on a book for Vegas Movie Studio HD, and we plan to expand our coverage and support of these products in the coming months.

Great ! :yh:
I bought VMSHD Platinum 10.0 seven months or so ago and have not been able to get a handle on it.(I'm so used to PE2.0)
And therefore have not made a disc with DVD Architect studio 5.0.
Looking for that book. =D>

Ditto here! I have Vers. 6 and 7 of vegas pro, I thought about the new Vegas Movie Studio but ... when I open the Vegas programs I have, I sit there looking at it dumbfounded, sort of like Spongebob's buddy Patrick. Then I close the program and open up PE.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:06 pm

I would have to agree, Vegas is nowhere as near intuitive as Premiere Elements. They go about things in odd ways in Vegas, back-to-front in mind. Take clips scaling for example, to make a clip frame size smaller you have to drag the frame bigger... :pull:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:11 pm

You're absolutely right, Paul! Some tools take some serious re-thinking!

On the other hand, I love that it feels like a professional editor and I don't feel like it's all dumbed-down, as Premiere Elements became in version 4.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Video Editors