They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sony Vegas 10 - Stereoscopic 3D?

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Sony Vegas 10 - Stereoscopic 3D?

Postby besweeet » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:23 pm

So I went ahead and got Sony Vegas 10. It has some nice stereoscopic 3D features. I'm a newbie when it comes to 3D stuff. I got some glasses a few days ago (by reald) when I went to see Jackass 3D (which was sort of lame). Is there any sort of 3D stuff that I can do with a 2D camera? Would I be better off doing the whole red/cyan effect instead?
besweeet
New User
New User

Re: Sony Vegas 10 - Stereoscopic 3D?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:30 pm

Actually, there are a number of techniques for creating 3D, besweet. And the process keeps getting better and better!

The old red/blue lens process is pretty primitive. It was replaced with polarized lenses -- each lens letting in only certain directions of light in. The most advanced technique actually uses little electronic "shutters" in each lens that open and close in alternation dozens of times a second -- which still boggles my mind.

Do the glasses you swiped from Jackass work on the Vegas video?

I'm really curious how modern 3D is created from 2D video. (I've read that the original Star Wars is going to be re-released in 3D. How can they do that 30 years later?)

Apparently your original video doesn't need to shoot in 3D. Somehow the program simulates it.

Is that right?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby besweeet » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:56 pm

I'm not too sure. Here's a video on the 3D capabilities of Vegas 10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O4oitQ7 ... re=related

I don't know if the glasses work properly with Vegas. I don't know which type of stereoscopic 3D it is, etc etc.

I ordered a pair of the red/cyan glasses from eBay for $1. I think that they will work fine. Old technology, yes, but it works and it'll be neat to see how well I can get it to work with some basic footage. I'd like to get the Jackass stuff going though (without getting expensive cameras and stuff :D).
besweeet
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:20 pm

That's very interesting!

I can't wait to see what you and other Vegas users come up with to demo it!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:48 pm

I have several photos -- mostly Poloroid -- of scenes I shot from two angles, and those work very well in Sony and Magix using red/cyan glasses. In the past I would use Photoshop to create the 3D anaglyphs, but I really like the techniques used in Sony Vegas Pro 10 for doing same.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Video Editors