They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10 Arrived

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Re: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10 Arrived

Postby Dave Mack » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:13 am

Hey guys, newbie here.

I bought the Platinum Pro 9.0 just 2 months ago and I too have not received an email from Sony about upgrading. When I logged into the Sony Creative Software site I do see that I am eligible for movie studio Platinum HD10, (not the suite, though) for $64.95. Should I wait and see if I get an email or try and contact them for the lower price and also the suite. Also I have a bunch of newBlueFX that I bought, (not the freebies) and they should transition over smoothly yes? And I did successfully do the software fix to remove the 2gb limit flag, (which was nerve-wracking as I'd never done that type of thing before) and really don't want to have to do that all over again. Anyone know if they fixed it?

Also, does anyone know how to render an mp4 in HD, (I want 1920x1080 final resolution) that can be played back on a PS3? I have done several projects which I successfully uploaded to YouTube but when I put them on a flashdrive, the PS3 can't even see them, (or I can't) let alone play them but I can play them on other computers, even a netbook. Is it a quality of render issue? mbps? Filesize?

Thanks
Dave Mack
New User
New User

Postby JohnnyO » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:20 am

Downloaded the trial version. Installation was a snap. The sottware has no issues with the m2ts AVCHD-lite files from my Panasonic DMC-ZS3.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:13 pm

JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:20 pm

Dave Mack wrote:I bought the Platinum Pro 9.0 just 2 months ago

Hello Dave Mack. Welcome to muvipix!

"Platinum Pro" is not real helpful. Either you have Pro or Platinum. People say that Platinum 9 which I am still using is really a feature limited version of Pro 8 but I don't know how they would know that. You should put in a telephone call to Sony Creative Software to see what your best upgrade price will be.

The results of the field-beta test of v10 are not in yet. <humor> There are various reports of things not working right in 10 but it is not yet clear what is user/installation problems or if some things are indeed broken. Normal new release drama, I'm afraid. Follow the drama on the SCS forums.

Version 9 Platinum can export an HDV timeline to either mp4 or m2ts and I was able to make a high definition AVCHD disk on conventional media using Nero Vision 10; also SD DVDs which looked pretty darn good.

I believe NewBlue has a procedure on their website for importing your effects.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave Mack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:34 am

Hi Ken, thanks for the welcome.

And actually there is a platinum pro...

amazon .com/VEGAS-MOVIE-STUDIO-PLATINUM-PRO/dp/B001CPHTAQ

When I first checked a couple of months ago there were 3 options. Movie studio. Movie Studio Platinum and Platinum Pro Pack.
The difference I belive is some audio FX and more video FX.

You can see all the variations here.

amazon .com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=sony+vegas

Product Description
Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro Pack takes HD video and audio production even further with tools for professional-level sound design and more video effects and transitions. Use the included Sound Forge Audio Studio software for precise audio editing and CinescoreStudio software for soundtrack creation. Upload movies to YouTube, burn to Blu-ray Disc, or author DVDs.

Maybe the new 10 prodcution suite is the equivalent?

Anyways, perhaps I'll wait.

:)
Dave Mack
New User
New User

Postby Ken Jarstad » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:13 pm

Yes indeed, I have the Pro Pack but it was merely a "suite" of extras that had nothing to do with the basic functionality of Platinum Edition. The new version 10 with all the extra goodies is now called a suite, perhaps to avoid the naming confusion. The Pro version of Vegas is a much higher cost, full-featured editor intended for professional videographers.

I bought my Platinum Pro Pack about the same time and found that within 30 days you could get the upgrade free. I ended up not being so enamored with the extras in the Pro Pack and so elected to forgo the suite edition this time. The HD 10 Platinum edition cost me $39.95 plus $9.95 for shipping. It is still on the way.

There is some confusion on the SCS forum whether DVD Architect Studio 5.0 gives us the ability to make Blu-ray compatible, high-definition AVCHD disks on conventional media. That means one-tenth the media cost. In v9 Platinum I can make an auto-play AVCHD disk, no problem. DVDAS 5.0 is available now as a separate product for $39.95 and with AVCHD support would be a block-buster product. If it can't author AVCHD then Sony may have shot themselves in the foot.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:38 pm

DVDAS 5.0 will create a Blu-Ray movie (BDMV) with menu using MPEG-2 or AVC format on a standard DVD 4.7 or 8.5 disc or on a Blu-ray disc. I don't see any provisions for creating an AVCHD Disc. There must be somebody that knows how to take a BDMV and modify the structure to make a AVCHD disc.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Robert, why would you want to create an AVCHD disc if it can create a Blu-ray disc on a standard DVD? I should have thought most Blu-ray players would be happier playing the former. Plus software players can play both, I create the Blu-ray to standard DVD with DVDA Pro and use PowerDVD to play them..
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:43 pm

Paul LS wrote:Robert, why would you want to create an AVCHD disc if it can create a Blu-ray disc on a standard DVD? I should have thought most Blu-ray players would be happier playing the former. Plus software players can play both, I create the Blu-ray to standard DVD with DVDA Pro and use PowerDVD to play them..

Paul, Ken needs AVCHD disc to play on stand-alone players. From what I recall in another thread, BD-5 and BD-9 are not widely supported. PS3 will play them, I have read.

Anyway, tsMuxeR will take a BDMV with a .m2ts extension and create an AVCHD structure that can be burned on a DVD. No menus though. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:15 am

Hi Robert, some interesting feedback from Chris B regarding DVDA Xtudio Bluray discs playing on a Blu-ray player.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7211&p=70440#p70440
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:23 pm

I just received my package today for Vegas Movie Studio 10.

I also picked up a Sony Blu-ray player, model BDP-S370 for $139.99US at Fry's Electronics. The player plays BD-5 on DVD-RW media, with menus. It shows as AVCHD on the player menu. That's all I tested so far. I don't even have a Blu-ray disc burner. I did a quick hookup to my standard interlaced TV with the composite video cable, which I didn't think you could even do with a Blu-ray player. So I'm playing Blu-ray movies on a DVD-RW disc on a Blu-ray player hooked to last century's TV. Downconversion is very nice!
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:24 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:I just received my package today for Vegas Movie Studio 10.

I also picked up a Sony Blu-ray player, model BDP-S370 for $139.99US at Fry's Electronics. The player plays BD-5 on DVD-RW media, with menus. It shows as AVCHD on the player menu. That's all I tested so far. I don't even have a Blu-ray disc burner. I did a quick hookup to my standard interlaced TV with the composite video cable, which I didn't think you could even do with a Blu-ray player. So I'm playing Blu-ray movies on a DVD-RW disc on a Blu-ray player hooked to last century's TV. Downconversion is very nice!

I just received my package today for Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0

I have been using a Sony BDP-BX2 Blu-ray player connected via HDMI to an Emerson 32 inch 720p HDTV. I have been most curious about reported problems creating high definition AVCHD disks on conventional media in the new Studio version of DVDA 5.0. After installing, registering and looking around I created an auto-play Blu-ray disk project in DVD Architect Studio and imported a ten minute HDV .m2t file. In this new release SCS has allowed more flexibility in their disk creation templates and, in my opinion, has made it easier to make a balky or non-playable AVCHD disk. Rest assured though, after choosing the correct parameters DVDAS 5.0 made a beautiful AVCHD disk which played without problems on the Blu-ray player and on my PC using Media Player Classic Home Cinema edition.

That's the only thing I have done so far and, so far, I'm happy \:D/

Edit: Oh yeah. It did occur to me that I should share my disk burning template.
When you get to the 'Make Blu-ray Disc' dialog window you will see a somewhat obscure button named 'Optimize....' Click it and the 'Optimize Disc' dialog window pops up. Select another button named 'Project Properties...' In the 'Project Properties' dialog window you can select most any of the listed items and some sort of selector mechanism will present itself. This was not intuitive for a relative noobie on Vegas like myself but once I caught on I realized the whole world could be changed from here!

You don't need to change the whole world but you definitely need to change the 'Target media size (GB)' to 4.70 for single-layer DVD and the 'Bit rate (Mbps)' because the default is 18 Mbps and is likely to stutter. The highest bitrate in the timeline burning on VMS9P was 16 Mbps so this seems odd to me. You can change the bit rate much higher, which might be appropriate for Blu-ray media but I set mine to just over 15 Mbps via the slider adjustment. The resultant disk looked beautiful to me!
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chris B » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:30 pm

You don't need to change the whole world but you definitely need to change the 'Target media size (GB)' to 4.70 for single-layer DVD and the 'Bit rate (Mbps)' because the default is 18 Mbps and is likely to stutter. The highest bitrate in the timeline burning on VMS9P was 16 Mbps so this seems odd to me. You can change the bit rate much higher, which might be appropriate for Blu-ray media but I set mine to just over 15 Mbps via the slider adjustment. The resultant disk looked beautiful to me!

Is there any "received wisdom" about what the comparable rate for 25Mb/s HVD is when compressed to H264? Some people claim that half is equivalent from going from MPEG2 to MPEG4 (so about 12Mb/s)- but I've seen other suggestions that this is to low - Is around 16Mb/s the sweet spot? (DVD is officially 8Mb/s - so 16MB/s is double speed - shouldn't be an issue for any Blu Ray player I would have thought).
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:48 pm

Chris B wrote:Is there any "received wisdom" about what the comparable rate for 25Mb/s HVD is when compressed to H264? Some people claim that half is equivalent from going from MPEG2 to MPEG4 (so about 12Mb/s)- but I've seen other suggestions that this is to low - Is around 16Mb/s the sweet spot?

I think some people get confused about the data rate of the files on their timeline and the data rate on the various disks. The data rate for AVCHD files on the timeline can vary widely but on disk seems to be limited by the reliability of the Blu-ray laser pick up reading the data off of conventional media. Another factor is video quality of MPEG-2 vs MPEG-4/H.264. 18 Mbps is about tops for reliable reading of data off of conventional media - and H.264 seems to have comparable perceived visual quality these days at 15 Mbps data rate as MPEG-2 does at a 25 Mbps data rate. HTH
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chris B » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Hmm. This is (of course) more complicated than it looks. Quick summary according to wikipedia of the limits of data rates.

DVD Media 8 Mbit/s (MPEG 2)
AVCHD "low end variant" on Memory cards 17Mbit/s
AVCHD on DVD - 18 Mbit/s
AVCHD "Professional variant" on memory cards 24 Mbit/s
HDV 25Mbit/s (MPEG 2)
Blu Ray 40Mbit/s
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

PreviousNext

Return to Video Editors