They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Best software for intensive HDV editing (< $150)

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Best software for intensive HDV editing (< $150)

Postby peggig » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:02 pm

I'd like to try a different video editing program for my next project. I know different programs have different strengths and weaknesses, so I'm looking for an editing program that's strengths match my needs.

Can anyone recommend software that is good at handling a very high volume of short clips with lots of transitions and color and audio adfustments, in HDV format? I don't care whether it has a lot of special effects, themes, or fancy templates. I just need color management, sharpening, high and low pass audio filters, basic transitions, key frames, etc. It also has to do a good job of downconverting to export to DVD, as well as exporting in H264 and 720P.

When I first got my HDV camcorder, I upgraded from PRE3 to PRE8. I had to give up on PRE8 because of excessive hanging and crashing, so I installed PRE7. I was able to get through the project using PRE7, but I had to break it out into 13 separate projects, do all the editing in the subprojects, export them, then import them into the master project. This was because, when I would get too many clips and transitions in a project, it would hang, crash, or simply lose the ability to move clips on the timeline. (Very frustrating!) For one long montage (an extra feature on the DVD), I had to create two projects, export the montages, then import them into another project to combine them, and then export again to import into the master project.

I shot about 10 hours of video for this project, and edited it down to a one hour video with two extra features that totaled almost another half hour. Segments of the video can be seen at www.youtube.com/bearcreekgreenway.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best software for intensive HDV editing (< $150)

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:21 pm

My initial response would be Premiere Pro, but I doubt there is a program out there that can handle 10 hours of HDV in a single project.

Premiere Pro has sequences, which are mini projects inside of a master project so to speak. It is a real benefit and a great way to organize projects and not need to have multiple projects going at the same time. That being said I have never used more than about 6 hours of HDV in a single project and usually split that off into 4 or 5 separate projects as 6 hours of HDV really bogs down even a hefty system.

Usually I don't think you want more than an hour or two of video in a single project, that goes for HDV or SD. Premiere Pro will allow you to have more than that and the ability to work with and organize all of the video better.

In short, I don't know if there is anything that will do everything you need.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Best software for intensive HDV editing (< $150)

Postby Paul LS » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Fascinating video peggig. Very interesting and well made.

And you may want to give Sony Vegas Studio a look. Try downloading the trial version and give it a whirl.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Video Editors