They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Where Next? Which Video Editor?

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Where Next? Which Video Editor?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:06 am

I have been reading, with great interest, the recent posts about PrElv8 and its problems which have encouraged some discussion of other editing software tools - Magix, Sony Vegas etc.

My 'old friend' PrElv2 finally got 'retired' a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of my imminent move to Win 7 64 bit. But it was my use of PrEl (both v1 and v2) that led me to my present editing/photo workflow which is based on Adobe products - PPro/Photoshop/Encore/AE (all CS4), along with the other common tools such as ImgBurn, GSpot, Sonicfire etc.

With Adobe CS5 due sometime soon if Adobe stick to their normal product cycle (I will not be moving to CS5 this time) I think it appropriate for me to review the so called 'pro-sumer' video editing market space for my own benefit, to determine whether I should consider changing to other video editing tools.

Just to clarify, my use of the term 'pro-sumer' is solely to focus on editing software that gives control to the editor, unlike(say) WMM which is a fine tool but lacks some critical features such as keyframing and other effect controls.

Note that I will stick with Photoshop and AE but I may move away from Encore to DVDAS which I have, along with Steve's book, but haven't used 'in anger' yet as well as moving away from PPro.

Hence my thinking in terms of starting this thread for a broader discussion of the options. I look forward to reading your input/views/comments. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Re: Where Next? Which Video Editor?

Postby Bobby » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:59 am

Merely the fact that his thread (and pieces of others) exists says volumes about what people perceive as Adobe's commitment (or lack of) to the low end and the fear that the low end will go consumer rather than prosumer in function.

I downloaded MAGIX yesterday, but found it sufficiently different that it is going to take a fair amount of time to evaluate it.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:07 am

I have made a decision to just stick with ver 3.02 as it has most everything I need. I am DV tape based HD and I am satisfied with what I have. I have noticed that the additional “features” the later releases have are more eye candy and I find myself using less and less of the eye candy to tell my stories. I also do not like how PE has been consumerized more and more starting with v4.0.

I do have the CS3 Master collection that I can start using in case I become dis-satified with 3.02. I am also sticking with DV-mini tape so the newer formats are not much of an issue for me at this time. I just want to tell my stories.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby JohnnyO » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:23 pm

I really like MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 15 Plus. I highly recomemnd it.

I also like PRE7 if you can still get a copy. Although I still like MEP`15 PLUS better.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:16 pm

I would like to also add, that before you decide, it is always a good idea to download the trial version to make sure you like it, and to make sure it workls well on your system with the types of video you edit. The video editor you choose is your personal choice and you need tobe sure.

My philosophy is, if there is no trial version available, I wil not consider it.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby SteveG » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:20 pm

I had thought I was going to buy version 8. I could REALLY use the new tracking feature. But like you I am scared away from it from the negative comments it's been getting. Therefore unless there is an update to 8 (yeah, right) I am not making any changes (to try 8 or something else) until I am finished with my current project. And I had some spare cash from my birthday I was going to use to buy it. I guess Adobe will be out of some revenue.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:40 pm

Steve, It isn't that hard to do motion tracking manually. If you need some tips just let us know.
It's only a matter of keyframing motion and that's a pretty basic part of the software already, all the way back to version 1 :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby SteveG » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:44 pm

Thank you Chuck. But that is what I have been doing. Very tedious if you ask me...unless I am doing something wrong. The thing I am dealing with right now has to do with lightning coming out of a witches hand. Every frame has to have a keyframe point.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:53 pm

Steve, How much do you know about using Bezier Curves?
Keyframes can have characteristics, you can apply Bezier, Auto Bezier, and Constant Bezier to each keyframe.
This may help you and make applying keyframes and the movement smoother and easier.
The default is Linear, but using Bezier can make a huge difference from what I understand.
My needs have been pretty basic and the defualt keyframes usually work just fine.
I know however that others have used Bezier keyframes with great success and I'm sure they would be willing to walk you through it.

Here are the help articles for version 4, very interesting stuff :)
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereEle ... -7e76.html
This one is from Premiere Pro CS4, but still very much the same in Premiere Elements
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro ... 7e45a.html

This subject is also covered in pretty good detail in our Premiere Elements 2 In A Snap book.
Steve may even have an article and something in one of his new books.

This should open a whole new world to you I bet :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby SteveG » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:09 pm

That is great to know Chuck. I have tried it probably twice before but didn't really have the time to really learn about it. I do have the PE2 book but will go through it again. It's been a while since I read it and I didn't need it then. Just like everything else...out of sight, out of mind.

I also have Steve' new book but didn't get a chance to finish it.

Thank you for the tips.
Steve G

--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:14 pm

For anyone that doesn't have the book you can read the section from the book here
In A Snap Book at Google Books

It seems that Sams has given Google Books permission to put parts of the book online.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:34 pm

MAGIG MEP 15 PLUS has its own version of the tracking feature. It is a right click and then select "attach to picture postion in video" I have not tried it but if you are interested you can certainly download the trial version
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:37 am

And here's my article on using Beziers for temporal and spatial interpolation of keyframes.
http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/sou ... _03-06.htm

It's not in any of my current books -- but my "Advanced Premiere Elements" book (which I hope to have out early next year) will definitely include it!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby SteveG » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:52 am

Thank you. I will try the Beziers and will try to download MEP at a later date.
Steve G

--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:my "Advanced Premiere Elements" book (which I hope to have out early next year) will definitely include it!

Will this book be somewhat generic, enough so that it woul be useful for all versions of Pre El?
Peru

Next

Return to Video Editors