They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD video doesn't have sound

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

DVD video doesn't have sound

Postby irispix » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:27 pm

I have a bunch of issues here.
I transferred my video from my Sony camcorder HDR-XR500 to my Windows XP computer but found that my system doesn't have a DVD burner.
So I copied the video from my computer to a flashdrive and downloaded it to my Vista laptop.
I used Windows DVD Maker to create a DVD but when I play it in my TV the picture is perfect but there is no sound.
I think it is a problem with the dolby system.. ac3 something (not sure).
My problem is compounded by the fact that my laptop uses Roxio Creator version 9.0.116 and it doesn't support ac3.
I figured that I should download to the laptop the Sony PMB software but their documentation specifies that the UDF reader will not be installed on Windows Vista. In addition there may be compatibility issues between the PMB and some Roxio software (not sure if with the version I have).
I also have Adobe Premiere Elements 7. Do you think if I download it to the Vista laptop my sound problem will be resolved?
What to do?? Help, please.
irispix
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: DVD video doesn't have sound

Postby Paul LS » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:29 am

Welcome irispix, you have got a lot going on :)

Firstly, are you sure there is no audio on the DVD? Have you tried to play it in another DVD player? Or the DVD player on your laptop? Also can you play the video in Windiows DVD Maker and does it have the audio there?

Also, there have been reports of compatiability issues between Roxio and Premeire Elements. So you may have issues with PE7 if you install it with Roxio. How about either removing Roxio from your laptop or buying a DVD burner for your computer, they are quite inexpensive these days and very simple to fit... no software to be installed.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:23 am

This is an AVCHD camcorder -- which often record in 5.1 audio.

As those who work with Premiere Elements 7 know, 5.1 audio behaves very differently than stereo audio in video editors. It could well be that Windows DVD Maker isn't capable of working with it.

I'd recommend checking your camcorder to see if it's recording in 5.1.

If so, we can look into steps to work around that.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby irispix » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:49 am

Paul LS wrote:Welcome irispix, you have got a lot going on :)

Firstly, are you sure there is no audio on the DVD? Have you tried to play it in another DVD player? Or the DVD player on your laptop? Also can you play the video in Windiows DVD Maker and does it have the audio there?

Also, there have been reports of compatiability issues between Roxio and Premeire Elements. So you may have issues with PE7 if you install it with Roxio. How about either removing Roxio from your laptop or buying a DVD burner for your computer, they are quite inexpensive these days and very simple to fit... no software to be installed.

Thxs Paul for your reply:
I have played the DVD in my Windows XP desktop and Vista Laptop and there is sound. The problem is when I play it through my DVD player. Yes, I have thought of buying a DVD burner and I may end up doing that but I also learned that burning a DVD may take hours.
What do you think of connecting my computer to my TV and then copy my video to the connected DVD recorder as I watch it?
irispix
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:10 pm

Sounds like the DVD has sound but your DVD player can not play it. Go in to the menu of your DVD player and see if there is an audio option to set it to Dolby. Can you try it on another DVD player?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Video Editors