They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Setting duration of an effect in Magix Movie Edit 14

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Setting duration of an effect in Magix Movie Edit 14

Postby zenon90 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:53 pm

I have this problem for a long time so i finally decided to post it in your forum :)
Well, I would like to ask if there is any possibility to set the duration of an effect in Magix Movie Edit 14 OR to mark since which moment i want the effect to appear? Let's give an example: I have "Spiral" effect and i want it to last for 1 minute. But when I apply it to the video material, it lasts for only few seconds and what's more, it always appears only on the beggining. I can only manually add new curve points - point by point - but maybe there is any way to do it automatically? THX in advance for any help.
zenon90
New User
New User

Re: Setting duration of an effect in Magix Movie Edit 14

Postby Paul LS » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Welcome to Muvipix... :meet:

There are some effects in MEP14 you have very little control over... the Spiral Movement Template for example. It is what it is... you can position it in your clip by splitting the clip with the razor tool and placing the effect. The effect will then start at the split. However you can not control the duration.

Other effects you can use the curves/keyframes to control the effect over time.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Welcome to our forum.

As paul says, Movement templates are what they are and cannot be changed. I have MEP 15 Plus, and Movement Templates cannot be changed in that version either.

You can however play arond with the whirlpool effect and keyframe it. YOu may have better luck trying to achieve what you want with that effect.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby zenon90 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:06 pm

Thank you very much for the answers. What's exactly the "razor tool"? A I can't find sth like that...

Let me ask one more question, just not to mess with a new topic: Could you recommend me any software "between" Magix Movie Edit and Adobe After Effects? The first one is a bit limited, but the second one too advanced as for me :)
zenon90
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:14 pm

zenon90 wrote:Let me ask one more question, just not to mess with a new topic: Could you recommend me any software "between" Magix Movie Edit and Adobe After Effects? The first one is a bit limited, but the second one too advanced as for me :)

You are kind of talking about apples and oranges there Zenon.
Movie Edit is a video editing program, After Effects is a compositing and effects program, really two different things.
If you are looking for something with more capability than Movie Edit I would highly recommend Adobe Premiere Elements or Sony Vegas.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:20 pm

The razor tool is used for splitting a clip. It is above the timeline over to the right, looks like a razor blade... at least it is in MEP15 which is what I am using now. I think it was the same in MEP14.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby zenon90 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:48 am

Thank you both guys for help.

PS. I checked the screens of MME 15 and there is this razor tool indeed, but no in MME 14.
zenon90
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:58 pm

In MEP 14 the razor tool is beneath the preview monitor and to the right of the navigation buttons.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Video Editors