They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

SDHC Cards

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

SDHC Cards

Postby videogeorge » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying an HD camcorder that records to solid state SDHC cards. Does anyone know what issues, if any, I'll have editing the footage with PE 7?

Thanks,
George
videogeorge
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: SDHC Cards

Postby Paul LS » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Do you know what format it records in or the make and model number of the camera? And is it standard definition or high definition? Either way it will be a compressed format and so will take a lot of computer power. Also some of the H.264 formats do not play well with Premiere Elements. I would try to find some sample footage from the internet and give it a try in Premiere Elements before commiting to buying it.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videogeorge » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:06 pm

I took the following from an article:

"The camera model is a Panasonic AG-HMC150. It records in the AVCHD format to an SDHC card. AVCHD is a compressed HD video acquisition format based on MPEG-4 (specifically, H.264 or MPEG-4 Advanced Video Codec)."

Thanks for your help, Paul.
videogeorge
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:09 am

Nice camcorder... it is an AVCHD format model. AVCHD is very processor intensive and you will need a quad core to be able to edit it in PE7 (or any editor). Because it is highly compressed the processor must decompress it on the fly when previewing/editing. Alternative is to convert to HDV format or another AVI intermediate codec. For example AVCHD Upshift converts the AVCHD to a high quality HDV MPEG2 (60Mbps) which can be edited relatively easily in PE7. http://www.newbluefx.com/avchd-upshift.html
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videogeorge » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks Paul. Looks like the cameras are ahead of the editors at this time. Think I'll hold off a bit to see where it goes.
videogeorge
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Video Editors