They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Encoding Times "Smart Encoding" v Not Smart

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Encoding Times "Smart Encoding" v Not Smart

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:59 pm

I've noted that Nero takes many times longer to "Smart Encode" a 1-hour Blu-ray than PRE7 which, I understand, compresses rather than "smart encode."

Is that to be expected?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Encoding Times "Smart Encoding" v Not Smart

Postby Paul LS » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:25 pm

With smart-rendering it should be done in seconds. NERO will tell you in the export settings window before you export if it is smart-rendering the video, the audio, both or none.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:17 am

You have me worried, George. Premiere Elements doesn't smart render anything for output to a Blu-ray disc (BD). Nero will smart render Mpeg-2 Blu-ray but not AVCHD Blu-ray for output to a BD. Your camcorder is an AVCHD camcorder, isn't it, so the video from that will not be smart rendered in Nero. Nero may take longer to render AVCHD than Premiere Elements, but neither will smart render a AVCHD for output to a BD.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Paul LS wrote:With smart-rendering it should be done in seconds. NERO will tell you in the export settings window before you export if it is smart-rendering the video, the audio, both or none.

If memory serves, Nero informed me that both the audio and the video would be "smart rendered."
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:37 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:You have me worried, George. Premiere Elements doesn't smart render anything for output to a Blu-ray disc (BD). Nero will smart render Mpeg-2 Blu-ray but not AVCHD Blu-ray for output to a BD. Your camcorder is an AVCHD camcorder, isn't it, so the video from that will not be smart rendered in Nero. Nero may take longer to render AVCHD than Premiere Elements, but neither will smart render a AVCHD for output to a BD.

My camcorder is a Canon HV 30 giving me m2t output that is "native" (does not need rendering) on the PRE7 Timeline. Of course, after editing/ adding transitions, etc., the red line appears but the Timeline usually continues to play smoothly, so I don't usually render the Timeline before exporting.

If I export to either a SD DVD or I burn to SD folder, the output is extremely fast, but if I output to Blu-ray, the burn is slower, however, not nearly as slow as Nero, which needed over 6 hours to burn to Blu-ray a 1-hour Nero Timeline consisting of ten 5-minute MPEG2 movies (each of which I had previously created with PRE7).

#-o
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Video Editors