They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

my pc capability for videoediting

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

my pc capability for videoediting

Postby videoted » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:11 pm

I have a Compac sr505nx vista computer with aPentium D 925 processor, 2gig's of ram, and a Ge force 8600 GTS video card. I'd like to get some quality software to edit like Sony's Vega 8. Was wondering if anyone had suggestions about whether I need a faster computer to run this program. I'd like to do some fairly sophisticated life story video's using photos and HD video. I also need good authoring, sound editing and ability to burn to blu ray. Thanks.
videoted
New User
New User

Re: my pc capability for videoediting

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:44 pm

Welcome to Muvipix Ted :)

From what I can tell your system will probably come up a little short for editing HDV.
I could not find that particular Compaq model but the processor is only 3.0 GHZ and not dual core.

To effectively edit HDV without driving yourself crazy you will really need to have a dual core or core 2 duo processor and 4GB of RAM.
The video card is secondary to the processor and memory but any of the higher end Nvidia or ATI cards work just fine.

I have a 3.0 GHZ processor on my Dell Dimension and wouldn't think of editing HDV or doing any major projects on that computer anymore.
What exactly do you have in mind and why do you think you need a professional editing software package?
Many of us have used Premiere Elements for editing and authoring without any problems, even for professional work.
It definitely isn't necessary to start out with Vegas or Premiere Pro just to edit video and author DVDs :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videoted » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:05 am

Thanks for the reply Chuck. I actually have a Casablanca Avio I bought probably 8 years ago that I used to edit weddings on. I want to move away from weddings and do more creative things with video, pictures and interviews in HD. I was looking at the current crop of Macro Systems editors but they're around $4k. I know very little about PC editing software/hardware but it seemed possible that that rout might be less expensive to give me what I need. So I guess I'm doing some homework here...
I'd like capabilities of multi-layering of photos and/or video, photo "scrapbook", a good quality photoshop, quality authoring and a blu ray burner(which is hardware I guess..)
videoted
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:55 am

Many people here do video professionally, some full time and some part time.
Most use, or started using, Premiere Elements. Check out the Video Tours and Steve's Tips along with some of the tutorials in the Products/Complimentary section, they will give you a good idea of how it all works.

Premiere Elements has unlimited tracks of audio and video (we tested up to 104 tracks and no problems).

Photoshop Elements is a great Photo Editing software package, you can do just about anything with that.
The bundle of the two programs is just over $100, you can beat that.

I have a Lite On Blu-Ray burner, the LG and Sony models are good also. Blu-Ray burners are under $300 these days, some getting close to $200, prices are way down from just 6 months ago.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videoted » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:55 pm

Ok, so now you've got me looking at new pc's. I was just on Dell's website looking at the XPS 420 with a quad-core processor. Including a blu ray burner, 500GB hard drive, 8GB of ram, a 24" HD monitor and Sony"s imagination suite it's about $1475. I was wondering what you thought of Sony's bundled software vs. Adobe.
videoted
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:31 am

There are a number of members here that use Vegas, many that use DVD Architect.
There are differences between the Sony offerings and the Adobe alternatives, but both are excellent.
The price from Dell is not bad at all considering all you get.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Video Editors