They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

vcr/playback for analog video when converting

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Re: vcr/playback for analog video when converting

Postby akcorcoran » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:24 pm

argh - just pulled in my first VCR tape - and works like a charm to preview with Picture Controller 300 BUT the audio is not matching up! I have the setting for audio locked and it's at 48 kHz - are either of those wrong? Option is for unlocking audio (doesn't seem right) or going to 32kHz? (There is also a high-pitched undertone to audio - constant - so I'm hoping I can adjust that out somehow.)

I need to post somewhere to get tips for settings from ADVC300 users (lots of them - I'm lost but tinkering) - but wondering if the audio settings are my problem and a simple fix.

looking for help if you can - thanks!
Alexa
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:53 pm

Have you tried a different VCR?
You might want to just try a few minutes with a couple different VCRs to see which will work the best.
I am not sure if your Canopus model has TBC or not, that helps to keep things in sync.
Someone here knows how it all works with the Canopus converters ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:58 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Have you tried a different VCR?
You might want to just try a few minutes with a couple different VCRs to see which will work the best.
I am not sure if your Canopus model has TBC or not, that helps to keep things in sync.
Someone here knows how it all works with the Canopus converters ;)

I agree with Chuck. I had that problem once and changing VCRs fixed it.
Peru

Postby akcorcoran » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:02 pm

Okey doke. Good think I'm not afraid of crawling around with a zillion cords - need a desk 10 x bigger for all this equipment!

TBC, Chuck - pardon ignorance, what's that? :)
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:23 pm

1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby akcorcoran » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:25 pm

Ah - thanks. :oops:
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:28 pm

I didn't know what it was a couple years ago, in 2005 this stuff was all pretty new to me :mrgreen:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:50 am

Just for clarity:

Since you are converting old analog tapes to digital you will not be using a "component" connection at all. You are likely using a "composite" video connection with the video signal coming in on the cable with a yellow colored connector. If any of your VCR machines have an S-Video output connector then that machine is most likely the one to use because it is designed to present a higher quality video signal to the S-Video output. Not always, but depending upon the units condition, it is usually the one to use.

If none of your VCRs have the S-Video output then use the one which presents the best looking picture to your PC while capturing. As has been pointed out previously, a tape which has difficulty playing properly - with picture aberrations - may play better on an alternate machine, even while the others play on a preferred machine. It all depends upon the original machine used to record the tape. You are fortunate to have several to try.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby akcorcoran » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:34 am

Thanks, Ken. I even checked my Panasonic VCR/DVD that is just last year's purchase, and it only has S-Video out for the DVD side and again only analog for the VCR side. Wondering if that's common? And, none of the old ones have S-Video out, not surprisingly. And, yes, sorry "composite" - don't know why the other was stuck in my head and coming out in the typing. Thx -
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:55 pm

It is highly unusual for a VHS VCR to have S-Video connections. A DVD player is capable of much higher resolution - hence the S-Video support in order to pass that resolution on to the TV. Then, of course, the TV has to have S-Video in to make this worthwhile.

If you were going to make this a business - converting old analog tapes (you have one of the BEST A/D converters on the consumer market!) I would recommend a JVC machine with DigiPure circuitry. A very high-end JVC combo unit will support S-VHS and S-Video also.

Here are some resources to do your own research, should you desire:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/capture/playback.htm
http://forum.videohelp.com/restoration-f43.html
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby akcorcoran » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:32 am

Thanks, Ken - I appreciate the advice. We did invest and I have a commitment to quality, so it seems foolish to only invest part of the way. The flip side is that we are so rarely asked to do video tape to DVD - mostly camcorder tapes, so it's just a matter of what I spend on right away. My real focus is the final project created *with* this footage - making it into montages along with photos, music, artwork, more - turning them into gifts in other creative ways. The video conversion is, therefore, just a step along the way - but it needs to be of the best quality we can provide. So, it's a dilemma.

Thanks for the advice - I will research further and appreciate the help.
Alexa
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Previous

Return to Video Editors