They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Software recommendation?

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Software recommendation?

Postby cdeemer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm looking for a video editing program that is less temperamental than PE. Any suggestions?
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Software recommendation?

Postby Paul LS » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:49 pm

All video editors are temperamental... just look at the forums of any major brand. :-8 The difficult part is finding the hardware/software mix that works for you. Having said that most folks seem to believe Sony Vegas is fairly stable.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:42 pm

If you are fairly used to Premiere Elements then the only thing that will probably come close is Vegas as Paul recommends.
None of the other programs that I have tried can do half of what Premiere Elements can do.

This is one of the reasons to have a separate computer for video, nothing gets put on that computer that would possibly conflict with Premiere Pro or Elements.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cdeemer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:45 pm

Has anyone tried Power Director? One computer mag ranked it superior to PE in every category.
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:49 pm

Just a quick look but it seems to only allow a maximum of 6 tracks, that would never work for me.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:56 pm

I have use dit in the past. However Power Director is pretty basic when you compare the depth of features and effects in PE.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:15 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:This is one of the reasons to have a separate computer for video, nothing gets put on that computer that would possibly conflict with Premiere Pro or Elements.

Very good advice, Chuck!

I took it a step further:

I have 3 identical computers: 1) one that is exclusively for PSE4.0 projects; 2) one that is only for PE4.0 projects; 3) and a third to go online with.

If ever there is a dire need to go online with either 1 or 2 (which is very rare), I expose them to the net for the absolute minimum time possible. Even with number 3, I am never online for more than 2 continuous hours.

Now that I've become increasingly "chicken" about going online, I'm making more use than ever of the Internet off-and-on switch on my modem

image117
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jag32266 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:43 pm

I fully agree with keeping a pc strictly for the video edits et. al.

I built the machine that I have listed in my sig and it's never online, and not even connected to my 4 hub router. Tho, that 'may' change as I become less paranoid,..

My other two machines:
One I use mainly as my internet and/or work horse all-around-kind of machine while
the 2nd was an older machine gimme from a friend that no longer wanted it. So I use it as a miscellaneous kind of thing.

One really cool peripheral device just purchased is a Hard Drive enclosure which came with a Sata interface card (wow) that I can add as an internal connect. I thought it was going to be strictly usb but it has that too. The cool part- think of a toaster where you add your slice of bread. Identical to how you pop in/out your Sata drives. Comes with it's own power supply, and all cables you need, even USB if you require this instead. Pls try the Sata since it's 3Gbs/s over usb. Less than $40.00 usd-
Vantec NST-D100SU NexStar Hard Drive Dock - SATA to USB 2.0 and eSATA

and CompUSA (TigerDirect) has them listed at -

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Sea ... u=V13-3300

Talk about adding HD space in a hurry!! Think about the current prices on Sata hard drives($60+ @500gb) and try not to go nutz. How's this for a way to build an archive...
Jay

XP SP2, XFX 650i Ultra NVIDA ATX, Pent D 925 3.0GHz,800MHz FSB, DuCore,Presler, LITE-ON DVDRW, 3Gb PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory, XFX GeForce 8400 GS PCIe, MAX. Eide 200GB,Seagate HD SATA 320GB x 2, Vantec NST-D100SU NexStar HD Dock - SATA to eSATA
jag32266

Postby cdeemer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:35 pm

I really see the advantage of having a dedicated video computer. Trying to figure out how to redesign my small basement office to include 2 computers! I also have a keyboard in here. Hmm.
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

pc or mac?

Postby cdeemer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:36 pm

All of my students who are serious about film and video have a Mac. If I got a 2nd computer just for video, I suppose I should go that way. Thoughts?
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:44 pm

If you are going to get a Mac, at least get Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro. Don't bother with iMovie.

That's a heck of an investment though -- but, if you want a low maintenance, highly stable system, that will likely do it for you.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cdeemer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:18 pm

I don't want to spend a ton of money either.
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: pc or mac?

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:24 pm

cdeemer wrote:All of my students who are serious about film and video have a Mac. If I got a 2nd computer just for video, I suppose I should go that way. Thoughts?

I wrote two heavily-illustrated history books with Macs, but for handling media (movies, video and photos) I went with PCs, for the following reason:

For the price of one Mac that would do what one media-center PC could do, I could buy 3 PCs.

Why three?

When it comes to video, three PCs are vastly preferable to one Mac, and here is why: To burn a DVD--which is what most users of video software do--you need to 1) capture the video; 2) edit the video; 3) import/edit the music 4) export the music and video; 5) burn the DVD.

Simply stated, if your goal is to work efficiently, you need to perform more than one resource-intensive process at a time, and that requires more than one computer.

:computer: :computer: :computer:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby cdeemer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:33 pm

Thanks, George. Good food for thought.
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:41 pm

cdeemer wrote:I really see the advantage of having a dedicated video computer. Trying to figure out how to redesign my small basement office to include 2 computers! I also have a keyboard in here. Hmm.

I have my video PC next to my regular PC and use KVM switch to switch the screen / mouse / keyboard / speakers between them. Works very well and not much space required beyond the physical second PC box.

And I second the motion for a second PC - my video PC is clean and mean and fast and I can switch back to the first to do email, web browse, etc. while rendering on the video machine.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Video Editors