They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus DV Capture

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus DV Capture

Postby JohnnyO » Mon May 12, 2008 7:16 am

I don't like the way MEP14 captures video from my miniDV Camcorder. It captures 1 large DV-AVI file. Each scene in the DV-AVI file can be saved as takes which are available during the editing session.

However, you cannot use DVDate on a take to get the timestamp. Granted, you can drag the take to the timeline and make a title which includes the timestamp, but I like to make my videos in chronological order and it is nice to know the timestamp before dragging to the timeline.

I like the way Premiere Elements captures. Each scene is a separate DV-AVI file, and I can read the timestamp with DVDate. Furthermore, with PE4, when you capture, the DV-AVIs automatically go into the Organizer. You can use DVDate to set the timestamp of the DV-AVIs to when the scene was shot, and if you have Photoshop Elements 6, you will be able to refresth the thumbnail and then the videos and are in cronoligical order with your photos. This is a grat option.

So, with my further testing og MEP14, I will re-capture the video with Premiere Elements and use the PE Organizer as a tool to see the order of the photos/video.

MEP14 has some great features and I do not consider this a show stopper, just an inconvenience.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus DV Capture

Postby JohnnyO » Mon May 12, 2008 7:55 am

I also noticed, on my system, I am more prone to loosing frames during capture with MEP 14. The only way I could capture without loosing frames was to use enditall before capturing.

I never loose frames wile captuing with Premiere Elements.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon May 12, 2008 5:25 pm

I've haven't had any dropped frames in Premiere Elements or MEP when capturing to DV-AVI. In MEP I'll get dropped frames in the very beginning when capturing to MPEG.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon May 12, 2008 5:54 pm

Here's something you can do after capturing to one big DV-AVI file in MEP. You can use MEP's batch processing to export each scene on the timeline to a separate DV-AVI file. The datecode is kept so you can use a renaming utility to rename them with the date and time of shooting. I used my own vbscript utility for renaming. Unforntunately, exporting DV-AVI back to DV-AVI has a problem that you have to work around in order to use smart rendering -- in order to avoid stuttering every second.

Edit: I forgot that you can do this to get the date and time to show on your videos:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2753
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Video Editors