They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Is Sony Vegas Pro worth it?

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Is Sony Vegas Pro worth it?

Postby Stregga » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:08 pm

Is Sony Vegas worth the investment?

Just curious cause I've noticed that some editors perfom certain tasks better than others and quite a few individuals use multiple editors. I've used Vegas in the past when I started and found it a bit difficult, however after playing around with PE4 and many of it's features I don't beleive it will be as hard. The pro version is a almost 5 bills so I was wondering is it worth the investment?
Gateway GM5664 Windows Vista Home Premium AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz, 1TB HDD (2 x 500GB) 3.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400XT (256MB OBM) Realtek HDSC Dual 19" Monitor Display
Stregga
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Is Sony Vegas Pro worth it?

Postby ryan_khoo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Stregga wrote:Is Sony Vegas worth the investment?

Just curious cause I've noticed that some editors perfom certain tasks better than others and quite a few individuals use multiple editors. I've used Vegas in the past when I started and found it a bit difficult, however after playing around with PE4 and many of it's features I don't beleive it will be as hard. The pro version is a almost 5 bills so I was wondering is it worth the investment?

In my personal opinion, I think invesment in Sony Vegas is worth it. If an IT-illeterate like me can use it to produce some video effects to impress my kids, I am sure anyone can do it. If you have problem, just post it here, the experts in Vegas will help you. I learned all that I know thru the forum.

Good luck
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Andy_E » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:32 pm

I think it depends what you have to pay for it. I'm not sure I would have forked out the full price for the app but I bought Vegas 6 from B & H Photo and then the download upgrade from Sony. I first looked at Vegas many moons ago when it was still a Sonic Foundy product and didn't like it (I was a committed Premiere 5.1 user). Now I've spent the time first of all with the trial and then the full version, it's got a mammoth amount of pro-level features that I'm slowly getting to grips with.

Currently B & H have a fantastic offer for Vegas Pro 8 here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/536041-REG/Sony_VP8Q_Vegas_Pro_8_Video.html

Note that this does not include DVD architect so may only be of use if you already own other DVD creation software.

Having said all that, I still think PE knocks the spots of all other comsumer-level NLEs and if I had the money I would have bought Premiere Pro no problem. As it is, there is no argument that Vegas has been incredibly good value for money and I haven't actually run up PE since I started using Vegas in anger.
Andy_E
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:59 am

Yes I agree with Andy, depends on what you have to pay. I bought an old unregistered version from E-bay for $20 and then upgraded for $120 if I recall. Within the first two weeks of a new release they have a special price for existing customers, after this the price goes to the standard upgrade price.

One good thing with Vegas is that you can upgrade from any version, unlike Adobe when you have to upgrade from a recent (year or two or three) version.

And the hardest thing is the work flow... it is totally different from Premiere and not at all intuitive in my opinion. Having said that it is a very powerfull program once you dig into it.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Stregga » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:50 pm

Thank you all for your replies. At least now I know that paying full price would be foolish if I can get my hands on an older version and upgrade. Would have never thought of that.

I agree with you Paul. I had played around with vegas a while back and found its interface rather difficult, which is one of the reasons I went to PE. However at the time I didn't know much about the programs and I felt that while the program was awkward it still seemed very powerful. I will keep my eye's out for an older version and may just add this to my box of tools.
Gateway GM5664 Windows Vista Home Premium AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz, 1TB HDD (2 x 500GB) 3.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400XT (256MB OBM) Realtek HDSC Dual 19" Monitor Display
Stregga
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:04 am

Looks like the link provided by Andy is the way to go $129.95 for Vegas Pro 8 from B&H... cant beat that. And it is not an upgrade but the full version... less DVD Arcitect 4.5.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Video Editors