They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Canon DV camcorder and Ulead video studio 11

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Canon DV camcorder and Ulead video studio 11

Postby Galesto » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:32 am

I have a canon MD150 camcorder, when I connect the camcorder to my pc and capture the video from it using videostudio 11 it doesn't capture it properly, when I play the captured videos back they play at double speed, with video studio 9 I didn't have this problem.

Any ideas?
Galesto
New User
New User

Re: Canon DV camcorder and Ulead video studio 11

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:26 am

I'm not sure how many folks here use VideoStudio Galesto.
Hopefully someone will be able to help you soon.

Are you capturing via USB or Firewire?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:51 am

I know UVS 11 had some problems capturing HDV that was resolved with a patch. Have you applied the patches/hot fixes?
If you are using the basic VideoStudio 11 and it installed OK you just need the 27MB update on this page:
http://www.ulead.com/tech/vs/vs_ftp.htm

Also how are you capturing??? Over Firewire or USB? If USB this may be part of your problem.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Galesto » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:10 pm

Thanks for your replies guys, I'm using firewire to capture the vids. I've already updated videostudio but it didn't help.

Is ulead a good choice for video editing? this is my first camcorder so I've never had reason to read about these products before, I used videostudio 9 to edit movies taken from my old digital camera and found it easy to use but I guess there must be better video editing software out there.

Anyway, thanks for your time. :cool:
Galesto
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:38 pm

The ulead products are good for basic video editing - that is where I started from. But I quickly reached the point where ulead was not giving me the editing features and control that I wanted (e.g. keyframes) and also it was becoming very unstable on my PC (I lost two weeks editing work on a single project in one go). But that could just be down to the software mix that I had on my PC.

When PrElv1 came out I was amongst the first adopters. My rationale was that Premiere Pro was a leading NLE product and if PrEl was just a cut down version then I could adopt it and use it as a learning curve should I choose in the future to go the PremPro route.

At that time PrElv1 was a complete step change. Pretty steeep learning curve after ulead but much more control. I am still using PrElv2 and will only reluctantly move on (to PremProCS3) when I finally upgrade to Vista (with SP1) because then PrElv2 will no longer work under Vista.

Along the way I met a bunch of folk also using PrEl who were posting advice and questions on a PrEl forum that Adobe set up. Most of those folk, amongst whom we shared experiences on the Adobe forum, are now here on this forum. Mostly still using PrEl.

Conclusion: If the video editing bug gets to you and you know that by using PrEl you can greatly improve the stuff that you capture with you camcorder then, bang for buck, you will definately not go too far wrong by upgrading from ulead to PrEmEl and subscribing to this forum. HTH. :-D :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Galesto » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:09 pm

Right, now's my big chance to show off my ignorance, what's prel?
Galesto
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:10 pm

PrEl is Adobe Premiere Elements
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Galesto » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:35 pm

Thanks I'm checking it out now, I'm still getting the hang of ulead, is this one difficult to use?
Galesto
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:34 pm

Galesto wrote:Thanks I'm checking it out now, I'm still getting the hang of ulead, is this one difficult to use?

Not the easiest to learn but we do have a great forum, video tutorials, articles, and lots of help for you in learning how to use it.
Most of the 700+ forum members use Premiere Elements as I have since version 1, if we could learn it so can you :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Galesto » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:36 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:
Galesto wrote:Thanks I'm checking it out now, I'm still getting the hang of ulead, is this one difficult to use?

Not the easiest to learn but we do have a great forum, video tutorials, articles, and lots of help for your in learning how to use it.
Most of the 700+ forum members use Premiere Elements as I have since version 1, if we could learn it so can you :)

Cool, can somebody give me their serial number so I don't have to buy it? thanks

Only joking obviously! ;)
Galesto
New User
New User

Postby Andy_E » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:28 am

If you're having issues with the in-built VS capture s/ware you could always try WinDV available here:

http://windv.mourek.cz/

It does one thing and one thing well and that's capture from DV devices. It's also free.
Andy_E
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Galesto » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Andy_E wrote:If you're having issues with the in-built VS capture s/ware you could always try WinDV available here:

It does one thing and one thing well and that's capture from DV devices. It's also free.

Cool! Thanks.
Galesto
New User
New User

Postby Galesto » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:26 pm

Andy_E wrote:If you're having issues with the in-built VS capture s/ware you could always try WinDV available here:

That works really well, thanks again.
Galesto
New User
New User

Return to Video Editors