They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Confused with audio in Pro CS3

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Re: Confused with audio in Pro CS3

Postby Gooder » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:11 am

Chuck Engels wrote:If your system is a Dell, there are Sigma Tel Hi Def Audio driver updates, they might help.

Hi Sara J,

Glad you got it working, updates do fix many problems :)

Chuck, could you put a link to the files you mentioned above.
That will really help other CS3 & Dell users, if they do a search and end up here!

I'm sure you agree :)
Thanks,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:10 am

Each user might be better off going to the Dell web site and enter their service number, or at least the model of the computer so they can get a list of all updates for their particular computer. Drivers on Dell's web site should only be installed on the appropriate Dell computer.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gooder » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:27 am

RJ Johnston wrote:Each user might be better off going to the Dell web site and enter their service number, or at least the model of the computer so they can get a list of all updates for their particular computer. Drivers on Dell's web site should only be installed on the appropriate Dell computer.

And a little bit of help such as adding the links as I kindly asked, would of been appreciated!

Here goes!

For adobe updates please go here!
http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/ ... pp_updates

For Dell computers please go here and select or change country as you see fit!
http://support.euro.dell.com/support/do ... l=en&s=gen

Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:43 am

That link you posted to Dell Support is fine Lee, but we can't link directly to any downloads because there are so many different ones for different models.
If you own a Dell chances are you know where the support site is anyway, we tend to go there rather often for one thing or another ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sara J. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Hey Chuck,
I knew in order to have the patience to help people like me, you had to come from somewhere harsh like this. This winter has been very cold. I hope we are done with the -20 degree days.

I do have another question. So I got audio to come into the Premiere Pro, I don't get audio in After Effects when I import a file. Is there a trick that I'm missing. Again I have never used After Effects before. I am getting how to use the files with video and photoshop, but I still don't get any sound in After Effects. I thought that my same problem with Pro was the same here, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

-Sara
Sara J.

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:45 pm

I have never worked with audio in After Effects, it has all been graphics and video only.
I am sure that someone here will have an answer or be able to help you figure it out, probably not too difficult.
I will take a look and see if there is anything obvious and get back to you later.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gooder » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi Sara J,

What version of After Effects are you using?

There is an update available on the Adobe website!
"Adobe After Effects CS3 Professional 8.0.2 update 55.7MB 1/22/2008"

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... rm=Windows

Lee :)
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:10 pm

There is an update available but I don't think that is the problem.

I also have no audio (CS3) on my laptop, haven't checked the desktop at home yet.
Imported a simple WMV file that plays fine in Windows Media Player yet the audio will not play in After Effects.
Checked the ASIO, and other audio settings and they are fine (only one option to choose from, Sigma Tel Audio).

So if there is a trick it would be great to know about. I am going to update my Sigma Tel drivers if there is a newer one available.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gooder » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:18 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:There is an update available but I don't think that is the problem.

Well, you don't really know that for sure until she has updated After Effects, if it needs updating, Chuck!
It can't hurt to update things especially, when you and Steve always advise people on updating etc.
Start there first and then if the problem still exists then start to find other solutions!!!

I did a search in the support forum about "No Audio" and it mentions a few things about wav files and not able to play them in After effects, you might want to do the same Chuck! :)

Lee
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:52 pm

Lee, I have applied all of the previous updates to AE CS3 but have not been able to do the most recent yet. If there was a problem with audio and the most recent update would fix it there would be a ton of information about it. Still, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and see if the update will fix the problem, I am not hopeful however.

This is not a WAV file as I said in my post, but a WMV file. I would think there is a simple setting somewhere or a driver problem, just my guess.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gooder » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:57 pm

Fair comment, Chuck :)

Did anything turn up in the support forum?
As it mentions a few things about audio, quicktime, when I did a quick search!

Thanks,
Lee
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:19 pm

I have After Effects CS3 with the patch to 8.0.2 and I have no problems with audio at all. I've used wav, mp3, and wma as well as the standard wmv, avi, etc. files. I just import it as footage and add to the comp. I didn't use audio prior to applying the patch so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I suspect not. Anyway, thought you would like to know that at least one person wasn't having problems. My system uses Realtek drivers.
Bob

Postby Sara J. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:22 pm

Ok boys, no fighting. Play nice.

The update was exactly what I needed in Premiere Pro. After Effects I think is more of a userer (being me) issue. I don't know if I'm expecting more out of After Effects than what it is often used for. This is the first time I have been using this program and I have a big learning curve ahead of me. I have been trying to learn it so I can use it better. I can hear the audio in AE when I use the . (period) on the numeric key pad. That toggles the sound to start play and stop play. I don't get to see the visual of the sound file playing along with the video and photoshop files that I am using as graphic effects. Also when I have a video file imported with its own sound I still cannot hear the sound with the video being played.

It seems to defeat some of the purpose with after effects when you are trying to create an effect to a particular sound sequence.

I hope I'm clear in my explanation.
Sara J.

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:37 pm

To see the waveform, the easiest way is to select the layer in the Timeline panel and type LL quickly. If you type one L, you'll get audio levels and you can click on the waveform twirly to see the waveform. Check to see that the sound is turned on in each layer. You may need to adjust the audio levels.
Bob

Postby Sara J. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:50 pm

OK. I can see the waveform with the audio. I can adjust the sound level both with the audio level bar and with the numbers next to audio levels dB. I can hear the sound only when I push the . on the numeric key pad. I do not get audio any other way that I can tell. And I can not get the audio to play along with the visual effects. Should I be able to hear the sound and see the effects that I created? I don't know why I wouldn't.

I can even hold down Ctrl C and scrub the music in the timeline. That is the closest that I can get to hearing the sound along with the visual effects. But I can not preview the effect with the sound.

thank you.
Sara J.

PreviousNext

Return to Video Editors