They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

mpeg streamclip quicktime error

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

mpeg streamclip quicktime error

Postby m_shel » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:58 pm

So I have read some really good things about mpeg streamclip. I go and download it, along with all the other freeware needed; 3ivd ,quicktime alternative (I uninstalled the real QT cause I'm not paying apple $20 for a plugin :P ), and upgraded to WMP 11.

Eveything is in order. Yet streamclip won't even open a single file. I get the standard "program has encounterd a problem and must close". I send the error report and go to the link to get more info and It looks like QT may be the problem (or the QT alternative, not sure). Take a look http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Resp ... 85085318fe

This looks like a great program, and I'd love to get it to work, but I'm not having any luck. Any advice?

Thanks
m_shel
m_shel
New User
New User

Re: mpeg streamclip quicktime error

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:08 am

The latest version of QT alternative with the MPEG2 support is version 1.81. If you have that version you should be able to load in std-def MPEG files. If you are trying to work with hi-def files - well, some folks are successful but I am underwhelmed.

Just what are you trying to do with M_S?
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby m_shel » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:27 am

Hiya,

I just checked and I've got QT alt 1.81.
I am trying to load in HD files, TP, DVIX, and MPEG2s all with no joy. I just want to cut out the comercials of my captured HD TV shows before burning them to a DVD (I've got another program for adding menues and burning).

I see that there is also QT alt 2.40. Do you think that'll help?
Or is HD file editing out of the question with this tool altogether?

P.S. When I was origionally prompted by M_S to go get QT alt, it said to be sure to load all the QT extra plugins. Well, I couldn't for the life of me find the checkbox mentioned for the "extra QT plugins". Could that be an issue? Where the heck is that checkbox?
m_shel
New User
New User

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:49 pm

QT alternative v1.81 is the one you want. The extra plugins refers to the MPEG2 codec which is no longer included with versions above 1.81.

BTW, I have always had M_S v1.1 crash on me, no matter what file I tried to input. You should be using v1.2b1 or b2. Those work about the same for me.

Check M_S basic operation by loading a std-def MPEG, WMV or AVI file. My std-def MPEG files worked fine. It's the hi-def files that were a problem. A seven minute m2t file capture with HDVCap from a Canon HV20 took a least five minutes to load - with the interface going through various coniptions before, if your lucky, being able to view.

If you want to change m2t hi-def transport streams to hi-def (program streams) MPG files try using AviDemux. IMO, a far more stable and useable application for doing that.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Video Editors