They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Portrait photos photos are skewed

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Portrait photos photos are skewed

Postby admoss68 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:01 am

I burn photos in 16:9 format using PRE8, thanks for the help from "Bob" in 2012. I have successfully burnt part 1 of my latest holiday successfully, which include landscape, panoramas and portraits. On attempting part 2, I discovered that some (not all) of the portraits are skewed about 90 degrees. (The shape remains a portrait, but the photo has some how become Skewed in the portrait). I have reloaded PRE8, but with no success.
Can you help?
My Computer details: Windows 8.1, 64, CPU i7 4770, ssd 250g, 2x 2T hd, Ram 32gig, video card GTX760, Pioneer BDR208D
Regards
Doug
2.4 ghz Core 2 duo E6600 running windows vista service pack2, 32-bit with 4 gigs RAM. NVIDIA GeForce 78600GT Graphics card. 2 internal Sata drives 320GB, 600GB, 20000GB. 1500GB External hard drive
admoss68
New User
New User

Re: Portrait photos photos are skewed

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:20 am

Hello Doug.

If I have understood the problem correctly the explanation is that the display mode (portrait/landscape) does not automatically rotate the image. It is about the height/width display format and not the image orientation.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby admoss68 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:57 am

Thanks John for the prompt reply. I am not sure what to proceed from your reply, so I will give you more information on my photo movie process.
All seems in order after I produce a slide show using PSE8. I tick the box "fit on slide" in the slide show editor for the 16:9 portraits. When finished I proceed to output. When I play the video some portraits are as expected (Photo in portrait correct orientation), but the next slide which is still portrait position with the exception the photo has turned about 90 degrees within the portrait. I was very excited when the first disc Part1 was burnt successfully.
I have tried to describe the situation as I understand it. The only difference between disc 1 and 2 is that I changed the background colour in the slide show editor, where as I changed the background in the slide show preferences in disc 2.
Is there a problem with PRE8 and windows 8.1 64?
Regards Doug
2.4 ghz Core 2 duo E6600 running windows vista service pack2, 32-bit with 4 gigs RAM. NVIDIA GeForce 78600GT Graphics card. 2 internal Sata drives 320GB, 600GB, 20000GB. 1500GB External hard drive
admoss68
New User
New User

Postby admoss68 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:54 am

Seattle to Sydney Part 2 10-2013 2.jpg
Seattle to Sydney Part 2 10-2013.jpg

John, I hope I have added the photos correctly so you can see what has happened.
regards Doug
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admoss68
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:40 pm

I suggest that you use Windows Explorer to examine each of the 2 photo files that you posted. Then post the "Dimmensions" of each of these photos file as shown by Windows Explorer.

Some versions of Premiere Elements (not sure about v8) do not correctly interpret the Orientation Indicator contained within a photo file. Your symptoms seem to match that problem and the W Explorer info should help confirm my theory.

The solution will probably be to rotate the photo files yourself. Once we have confirmed the problem we can discuss specifics for your workflow (including the Organizer slide show editor).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby admoss68 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi Barb O, Thank you for replying to my post.
The good photo has the following dimensions 720 x 1280 (Width 720 pixels, height 1280pixels). Horizontal resolution 180dpi vertical resolution 180dpi. Resolution unit 2, Colour representation sRGB, Compressed bits/pixel 2
Skewed photo Has the following dimensions 720 x 1280 (width 720 pixels, height 180 pixels). Horizontal resolution 180dpi vertical 180dpi. Resolution unit 2, Colour representation sRGB, Compressed bits/pixel 3.
The only difference I can see is bits/pixel
Regards Doug
admoss68
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:24 pm

bit/pixel is just a measure of how much the image is compressed. It won't cause this type of problem.

There are two things wrong with the image. 1) the image is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise, and 2) it is stretched in one dimension to fill the height of the slide. The rotation could be caused by improperly using the orientation flag in the image metadata, but that doesn't necessarily explain the stretching. Did you adjust the size of that image in the slideshow creator?

Could you post both the original full sized and scaled down images of that bad image so that we can see if there is anything unusual about them?
Bob

Postby Barb O » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:21 pm

1- Bob, thanks for asking for the original photo file dimensions. That was my intent but obviously I did not make it clear.

2- Doug,
Bob asked - for the problematic photo
"Did you adjust the size of that image in the slideshow creator?'

I see that in your earlier post you said that
"I tick the box "fit on slide" in the slide show editor for the 16:9 portraits."

Bob,
that "fit on slide" will cause the Organizer Slide Show Editor and/or Premiere Elements to adjust the size (dimensions) of the image. My suspicion is that the weird stretch is happening during the process for the "fit on slide" function.

Here is a description of this parameter in the v9 Organizer Help PDF and I believe that v8 is the same.
"Crop To Fit Slide
Crops the photos to fit on a slide, removing the black bars that sometimes appear on photos with different aspect ratios. Choose Landscape Photos or Portrait Photos, depending on the orientation of the media files."

3 - Doug,
Approximately how many photos do you have with the bad results ?
I am curious - Did the photos in the second part of the slide show which are bad come from a different camera ? Or if the same camera, do you know if any camera settings were changed ?

4 - FYI - Depending on what we learn about the Dimensions and Orientation of the good vs bad results, substituting a manually rotated copy of this one photo file with the weird stretch results within the Organizer Slide Show Editor and then sending it to a new Premiere Elements project may be a good test before considering manual replacement of multiple photo files.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby admoss68 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:26 am

Hi Barb O & Bob, thank you for continuing to help solve this problem. Sorry about posting the photos before I read Bob's post. I have added the resized photo with this post. I resize both the landscape and portrait to 1280 x 720 and 720 x 1280 in preparation of producing a slide show. I don't resize the panoramas.
After locating the portrait slide In the slide show editor, I click on the image and then click on fit on slide.
The images can be 16:9 or 4:3.
I Have added a file setting out all the portrait slides and their results in slide show part 2.
I can only repeat that it worked for part 1. I must have changed a setting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admoss68
New User
New User

Postby admoss68 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi Barb O & Bob, I carried some comparisons with slide shows Part1 & Part2. Part 1 had 22 portraits and 13 Panoramas and part 2 had 17 Portraits and 14 panoramas. Not a lot of difference.
I recreated slide show 2 dropping out one panorama. This time the slide movie worked - no skewed portraits.
The reason for doing this was that I don't resize panoramas and I thought this might be the problem, too many panoramas that were not resized. I have found that if I resize panoramas with all the other photos they were too pixilated. Unfortunately recreating the slide show and dropping out 1 panorama does not conclusively prove the panoramas were the problem. Any further suggestions as to how to treat panoramas so they can be shown successfully on a 16:9 TV would be appreciated.
My camera is a Sony Cybershot HX100v that takes sweep panorama
I would like to thank you very much for your time and assistance. Doug
admoss68
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:08 pm

Hmmm - it seems that my most recent post that I attempted to submit from my iPad is not here. So here is a reconstruction of that question.

You said that your camera is a Sony Cybershot HX100v that takes sweep panorama.

Q1 - The panorama which you removed from Part 2 and it succeeded - which type (size) of panorama was that from your Sony camera?

referencing the review of your camera at
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydschx100v/7

Intelligent (i)Sweep Panorama

1 - In standard mode, panoramas extending approximately 120 degrees are created with dimensions of 4912 x 1080 pixels.
2 - When set to wide mode, a 180 degree panorama is created with dimensions of 7152 x 1080 pixels.

If the removed panorama is the Wide mode and you had no wide mode which completed successfully, then I would be skeptical about whether the Organizer Slideshow to Premiere Elements process can handle the 7152 dimension.

Q2 - For the panorama photos, did you apply pan or zoom within Organizer Slide Show creation ? (please answer separately for standard mode and for wide mode from your camera).

(Although the panoramas would not seem to have a direct impact on the portrait photos, I think it is worth this brief investigation.)
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Video Editors