They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pinnacle

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Pinnacle

Postby Bubby Grub » Mon May 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Hi All,
Just a quick question has anyone got or tried the latest Pinnacle Studio, I am thinking of going that way, but am a little hesitant, as Pinnacle
was my first editing program way back, but unfortunately I had some very back experiences with it, example one day you were working away in the program
and saved and closed off that evening, went back into the next day and the whole file had disappeared, a few times I could get it back but not always.
Another thing I found that it would love to all of sudden put narration for some particular thing in an entirely different spot. That was just a couple of problems
I had with it which is why I switched to PE and never had that problem. But with adobe going the way they are, I have been thinking of various other editing
programs, unlimited tracks is very important to me. Basically except for the problems I had with Pinnacle way back I rather liked the whole concept of it, and
found it very easy to use for a new comer which I was way back then. Just wondered if anyone has or tried Pinnacle now and how do they feel about the program
as a whole. Have thought of Vegas but not sure how many tracks do they allow and how both of them compare.
Any feed back greatly appreciated.
Bubby Grub :-k
When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Pinnacle

Postby Bob » Mon May 13, 2013 7:28 pm

If you're happy with Premiere Elements you don't need to jump ship. Elements is not part of the Creative Cloud offering and will continue to be a perpetual license as before. It's just the pro applications that are going subscription.

As for Vegas, the consumer version only allows 20 tracks. You need the professional version to get unlimited tracks. Pinnacle Studio 16 has three versions. The basic version supports 6 tracks, the plus version supports 24, and the ultimate version is unlimited.

I haven't used Pinnacle for a long time so can't say whether it's better or not. It doesn't look like the original interface at all. Avid bought Pinnacle and turned it into Avid Studio and Corel bought it from Avid and turned it back into Pinnacle. Still looks like Avid Studio though. Corel had it's own video editor already so it's not clear what the long term strategy will be.
Bob

Postby Bubby Grub » Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks Bob for the info, probably I worded things a little wrong, not really intending to jump ship with PE, I use CS6 Photoshop and AE,
but will probably just sit with the versions I have. Just kind of wondered if anyone had any great opinions on the Pinnacle Ultimate Version,
as I said I used Pinnacle way back and had numerous problems, just wondered if all those many bugs had been fixed, and I kind like
to have a couple of editing programs on hand, always feel one just might do something I want that one does not. Seeing I use to like
the concept of Pinnacle, just wondered if it had been improved upon as I would never go back to those problems again. Thanks again BG ::C
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gerlinde » Mon May 13, 2013 11:24 pm

Hi Bubby, I'm a big fan of Pinnacle Studio 16 Ultimate.

I started also out with Pinnacle Studio (12 & 14). I bought it mostly for the additional plug-ins like Red Giant Effects, Boris Graffiti and proDad VitaScene. But I never got really comfortable with the program, I found it to be very limited. That changed after Avid bought Pinnacle and came out with Avid Studio 1. Although the newest version is now called Pinnacle Studio 16 Ultimate again, but it should really be called Avid Studio 2. The program interface is completely different from what was formerly known as Pinnacle Studio.

You should download the trial and check it out. The program is very stable and has so many features, but is also very easy to learn. Here is a link to some tutorials which are very helpful. We have also a Avid section here at Muvipix, but I think RJ Johnston and I are the only ones using the program here at Muvipix.

I also like Magix Movie Editor Pro 2013 Premium.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Bubby Grub » Tue May 14, 2013 2:21 am

Hi gpecht

Thanks so much for the feedback, I will check out the tuts. Basically way back and I can't even remember what version I had it was so long back
and with the problems it was something I never wanted to see again. I must admit it was very easy to learn especially for a new comer, but it
was so unstable back then I ran frightened of it ever since. You did mention that it is now very stable so I will take another look at it. I am a big
fan of numerous tracks so that is a must for me which it has, hopefully this time I won't have those problems. Thanks once again for the feedback. ::C
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu May 16, 2013 12:32 am

I've been trying out Pinnacle 16 Ultimate (or Avid Studio 2.0) and see several improvements over Avid Studio 1.1. I'm very tempted to buy it as an upgrade and use a promo code to get an additional 10 dollars off. However, I have AVID Studio 1.1, which has the "$2000" worth of Red Giant plug-ins.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bubby Grub » Thu May 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback, will download the trail version and try it out. BG :)
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu May 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Watching the tutorials they have is a really, really good investment of time, otherwise you will struggle to use it effectively.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bubby Grub » Thu May 16, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi will do, I do have a couple of questions if I may,
1. Do you know anything about the licence of it, meaning can it be put on more
than one computer and run at the same time. Put it this way our household has a couple of computers, and sometimes hubby
may be working on a entirely different one at the same time.
2. Long time back when I did use this particular program it was so unstable, meaning the complete project would disappear at
any given time, sometimes it was possible to get it back, but not always, and it did like to throw certain things all over the place
even after you had placed say narration in a particular spot saved etc, then later go back boot it up and find that particular
narration had been placed somewhere else entirely. I understand from you guys that is a thing of the past, and that it is stable,
and say I wanted to transfer the project to another computer to finish working on it, there would be no problems, of course
making sure of the correct drives etc.
All advice greatly appreciated, as you can understand from past experiences I am a little gun shy, but on the other hand
would love to try it out, but don't want to waste money either.
Thanks again Bubby Grub ::C
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gerlinde » Thu May 16, 2013 10:30 pm

To answer your first question:
Do you know anything about the licence of it, meaning can it be put on more
than one computer and run at the same time.

No, you can only use it on one computer. I actually called them as I bought the program. I asked if I need to buy 2 programs, one for my desktop, one for my laptop, and they told me, as long as I use only one or the other computer I would be OK with one copy. But as soon as you use it on 2 computers at the same time you have to have 2 copies. Same deal as with PRE.

As to your 2nd question, it depends. Like in PRE you can tell the program where to store what. But you have to keep in mind that the central component of the program is the Library. Here you find basically everything, your media ( video, photo, music ), Transitions, Theme templates, Title templates, Presets etc. You would have to make sure to keep everything you have used in a project in a folder (including the project file) and than duplicate it on the other computer. I would think it is doable, you have to be organized.

There is also a user forum ( not as good as Muvipix :no: ) http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/242/ShowForum.aspx
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Bubby Grub » Thu May 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi thanks so much for the info, I often transfer projects to my another computer with PE and have no problems, just have to be organised
so understand this one is the same way, also thanks for the info re licence. Nice to know exactly how it all stands right from the outset.
Fully agree there is no better forum than Muvipix :-5
Bubby Grub
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gerlinde » Thu May 16, 2013 11:29 pm

Bubby, since you have an older version of Pinnacle Studio, you might be able to get the Upgrade price. I can search for the information if you tell me the version number you have.

On a side note, there is also a iPad app of Studio.
Gerlinde

Postby Bubby Grub » Fri May 17, 2013 12:15 am

Hi thanks but no can tell, as I said this was the first editing program I had ever used when I first started out, and I had that
many problems with it, once I switched to PE, I kind of gave it a miss and over the time in one of my mad 'spring cleaning' days
said to myself never want to see that again, well you know where it ended up, probably silly but at that time Pinnacle was not a good
word with me. Thanks for the thought anyway Bubby Grub :)
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 am

Here is a promo code for $20 off PInnacle Studio 16 purchased direct from Pinnacle: PINNSTUDIOSAV20. I just tried that and it somewhat worked. Instead of $129.95 it became $116.95. I bet you thought you would get $20 off.

Here is a promo code for $10 off an upgrade to 16 Plus or Ultimate: 10PINNSAVE

I tried the 10PINNSAVE yesterday and would have got the discount. You need at least Pinnacle Studio 9 to qualify for the upgrade price.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bubby Grub » Fri May 17, 2013 1:35 am

Thank you BG
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Video Editors