They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Anyone have feedback on NIS 2011 ?

Talk about anything here.

Anyone have feedback on NIS 2011 ?

Postby tjodork » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:27 pm

I see that the download for Norton Internet Security 2011 is out there (using the http://www.symantec.com/redirects/norto ... com/nis11/) ....
Does anyone (Bobby ?) have any feedback ?

Thanks
Tim
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Anyone have feedback on NIS 2011 ?

Postby Bobby » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Interesting, but that may be a beta as they are still showing 2010 on the main website.

I decided not to be in the beta test this year myself.

But my four installs are due for update right now. I found that you can get cheaper prices on the older (i.e. 2010) version now and upgrade to the 2011 (via the URL you posted or http://www.norton.com/nis11) soon. So that is what I am doing. As long as you have a valid code you can download and use the 2011 version.

But I would wait for the formal announcement.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby tjodork » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback !!
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Well, it's released now! See www.norton.com for the announcement and the above URL to download. I will download the file ASAP!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:55 pm

You can download and install the new version directily from within NIS, my download is proceeding as I type this.
Bob

Postby Bobby » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:11 pm

OK - did it. The good news is that the 2011 version took my 2010 key as had been true for the past few years. Not sure what all is new yet, but they did move some things around on the main screen. One new "feature" is a visual global map of cybercrime activity around the world for the last 24 hours! I wonder what to make of that...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Installing from within the existing NIS2010 was a breeze. Easiest install ever. Here's what it looks like:
nis2011.jpg

I'll take a closer look at the new features later when I have more time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:20 pm

I also installed from within Norton. Couldn't have been easier. There were just a couple of my settings that didn't transfer correctly, but I wanted to go through them all to check anyway, so I caught them immediately. I see that there's now an option to automatically download a new version. It's explained clearly in the help file that this is free and that your present subscription period will remain in effect. For the past several months I've been purchasing Norton 2010 for clients for $30.00 or less including shipping, so that's a pretty good deal to buy at those prices and then just do the automatic upgrade. My subscription is up in 47 days, so I think I'll be purchasing a copy for myself.

I did notice a couple of new items in this version other than those already discussed:

Smart Definitions
Automatic Resume Delay time setting
And apparently they've done away with the bar graphs representing system load, which I won't miss.

The new map is mildy interesting, but it doesn't help protect my system. I'm jumpy about the addition of bells and whistles. Symantec has done such a great job with Norton these past few years. Now with each new release I worry that it will start going the wrong direction. I really do like this program.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to Water Cooler