They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PrEl 3 manual?

Talk about anything here.

PrEl 3 manual?

Postby Cinde » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:23 am

I plan on buying ?Premiere Elements 2 In a Snap? soon, but in the meanwhile I need to know:

Is there a printed manual available anywhere for PrEl 3? I mean something that is identical to the help file I click on when I?m working in PrEl3. I?m the type person who really needs a printed manual to read while I am learning new software. I get so confused and irritated when I have to stop during a new step to open the help files, try to find an answer and then go back and forth between the help file and the screen I am working on. With the printed manual I could have the manual open and read it without switching screens. Another bonus of having one is that I could read anytime and anywhere I am. For example waiting in the doctor?s office.

I know I could use the print option while I?m in the help screen. I?ve already done that on a few sections. But to get the whole manual it would take entirely too much time and I couldn?t even begin to calculate how much paper and ink it would take to print only one section at a time. Some of those help files are only a paragraph long.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:50 am

I have (or rather had) exactly the same problem. For me it must be an 'age' thing as, for example, my son is quite happy with on-line manuals etc.

The solution that worked for me was to take the advice of others and get a second monitor for video editing.

That way I not only have much more space on which to organise the PrEl windows but also have the advantage that, if I need it, I can have the 'help' window open as I am working. :-D

(Doesn't help whilst you are waiting in the doctor's surgery though). :-(
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Briantho » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:49 am

I have a 250 page manual that came in the box when I bought the software (I also got a similar sized manual for Photoshop Elements 5.0 in the same bundle). Maybe you could look around on the Adobe site for just the manual. When you bought PE3, the manual wasn't an option?

The "In a Snap" book has helped me a lot! ;-)
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:43 am

Premiere Elements 2 In A Snap will be great and it covers many of the basics. I don't think you will be missing anything that the manual has, and if you do have a questions there are great people here to answer them for you :)

Premiere Elements may or may not have come with a written manual depending on when and where you purchased the software. There is a pdf manual included with every installation DVD, but not always a written manual.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:50 am

And don't forget, there is a 313 page PDF of the user manual on the Premiere Elements installation disk.

You can print it out, of course, and use about $20 worth of ink cartridges.

But, IMHO, it's still not quite as thorough at that brilliant "In a Snap"/"All in One" series. :eek:
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:20 am

cinde, take it from a fellow newbie, the PE2 in a Snap book is helpful even tho you have PE3 like me. I read the PE3 manual that came with the box and it only covers the basics. And like you was constantly going to the help file changing screens. The In a Snap book has step by step instructions and at a glance index. Some of the icons on the edit workspace are located in a different area in PE3 compared to PE2, but once you find them it is no problem to follow the book.
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:21 am

And both of the authors are right here to help if you have questions :cool:
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Vera S » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:26 am

In my opinion 'Video In A Snap' is the best manual you can ever find.

Although my english isn't the best, the book helps me in so many ways.
At the moment I think of installing PE in english ...

Themes were logically reasoned, there where a lot of "before you begin"s and a lot of helpful hints and tips. And the shortcut-list at the appendix is a treasure.

Give it a try, it is worth every cent

Regards,
Vera
Vera S
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Ordered today

Postby Cinde » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:23 pm

I ordered "Video in a Snap" today. I can hardly wait for it to arrive!!!

I'm so excited about the things I?ve already learned. The biggest thing I had to learn is the difference between video transitions and video effects. When I first started I was trying to apply transitions to the still pictures themselves, not between them. I like some of the transitions and would like to apply them as an effect of the video itself. I?ve also learned how to use Video Effect > Distort > Wave Warp to make a flag look like it?s waving in the background. On top of the flag I overlaid a picture and used motion scale to make it start out small and end up full size.

What I want to do next is use an overlay and make it revolve on screen (not rotate, twirl or flip). Kinda like this: :happy3: and/or this :compress:

Ok, that?s baby steps. I?ll settle for that until ?Snap? arrives.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:36 pm

There is some cool stuff you can do with a Premiere Elements plug in called WAX. Check out this video that Paul LS did
http://www.chuckengels.com/dec2005/Living.wmv

There are other great contest videos too
http://www.chuckengels.com/dec2005/vide ... al.php?s=5

And for some really great tips and ideas check out the Adobe forum member videos
http://www.chuckengels.com/PremierVideo/index.html
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Water Cooler