They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Advanced System Care 3 Question

Talk about anything here.

Advanced System Care 3 Question

Postby Bill Hunt » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:50 pm

I debated whether to post this to Tools, or Computer Issues, and finally settled on the Watercooler. If Ron thinks it should be moved, please feel free to do so.

Based on a thread in the Adobe PE forum, I saw a glowing rec. for Advanced System Care 3, and then a user testimonial. I had not heard of this program, but did some exploration. Before I run it on any of my machines, I have a few questions. It is billed as a "one button solution." Can it be run incrementally, i.e. to do certain sweeps and fixes, or is it just one button and all is automatic?

It seems to be a good program, but I am not having any problems with any of my machines, and usually ascribe to the "if it ain't broke... " philosophy. Still, it seem quite good, but I from too much that is "automatic." I've had too many sweep/repair programs that get carried away. One of my pop-up blockers always flags a half-dozen Adobe .dll's and other files as "bad." I have to monitor it's activity, least it get confused and blow away some necessary Adobe stuff. Another always wants to clean out my Registry of references to many Adobe file types, like PSB's and AI files. It's not smart enough to know that if Adobe installed/wrote this stuff, it's necessary.

Does anybody here have experience with Advanced System Care 3? (Steve, are you around and about?)

Just curious, thanks

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Advanced System Care 3 Question

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:09 pm

I'm loving it, Hunt. In fact, I recommend it in the Adobe forum FAQs. It replaces Advanced Windows Care, which was also an excellent automatic tune-up program. Removes lots of malware, clears out temp files, cleans up the registry, etc.

Yes, you can fix a lot of stuff with the one-button automatic mode -- but you can also choose to work the processes one at a time if you'd like. There are also some great bonus features for things like automatically checking to see if all of your drivers and software are up to date. (This feature is still under construction though.)

In my experience, I've seen only great results with no downside. (No accidentally erasing a file and rendering my computer unbootable or anything like that.) And I used its FireFox tuner the other day, and it made a huge difference in performance (though I can't honestly say I know for sure what it did).

In all then, I have nothing but praise for this piece. So much so that I may even buy it. Not because the shareware version lacks anything -- but because I want to encourage these guys to keep up the great work!

Here's the link to it, by the way -- though I think there's now a version 3.11.
http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:03 pm

Steve,

Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Because of little "mis-steps" by my other programs, especially around Adobe, I always worry.

Going back decades, I fell for one of these, and allowed it to do it's thing. When it was done, I had to do a low-level format of the SCSI HDD and a complete re-install of Win 3.1.1 (IIRC). After I was back up and running, I burned the disc in the firepit and uttered incantations over its flaming remains. Been burned by a "one button" once.

You said all of the right things. Heck, I might have to go get FireFox, just so I can optimize it!!!!!

Happy New Year,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:23 am

Read this thread and was interested enough to download the trial. Looked good so purchased the 'upgrade'. Result - PC totally screwed to the extent that Windows no longer recognised some of its own software components.

Fortunately I use Acronis to regularly back up my system drive so a quick restore should fix the problem. Just a cautionary warning.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:24 am

Yeow! Sorry about that, John. But I don't think your results are typical by any means.

I'm just seeing better performance.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:07 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:....But I don't think your results are typical by any means.

I suspect that you are right, Steve. The number of posts on various fora singing the praises of ASC would suggest that on my particular config I had some kind of significant (now there's an understatement!) conflict. Fortunately I was able to recover my system. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bobby » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:43 am

Not to take sides in this discussion, but I stay away from all that stuff. I keep my PCs and my client's PC clean, and never had a specific need for one of those programs. Any time you let an artificial intelligence ( :) ) system do your work for you, you have to accept that HAL makes mistakes sometimes!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:20 am

Daisy, Daisy,
Give me your answer do....
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:22 pm

"The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. "

That was a very nice song, HAL. ;)
Bob

Postby Bobby » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:19 pm

Don't forget that HAL is IBM--. We know IBM never makes mistakes...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:35 am

Well, my philosophy is that the computer NEVER makes mistakes...

But the computer operator, programmer, system builder, IT technician, software developer, and any other fleshy-type humanoid organism involved along the way probably made a lot of mistakes that the computer will perpetuate in the most catastrophic way possible!
image131

Seriously, though, I've used the free Easy Cleaner from ToniArts for the better part of a year now to do routine clean-up and maintenance my 3 PCs and had no problems with it so far...
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:15 am

I gave ASC3 a go and it did a very good job of cleaning. It does everything I normally do, plus it deleted the cookies with with my login names and passwords, which I normally don't check off on the maintenance tab in Internet Explorer. Windows XP started up with no problems. I didn't notice any improvement in PRE7 performance as I already have an excellent defragger and I frequently do other maintenance. I saw that ASC3 is or will offer background defragmenting.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:13 pm

I use ASC3 just about every day now.

One thing I noticed is that if the application is just open, then the playback in Premiere Elements 7 is jittery even if the timeline has been rendered. The pro version comes with a RAM optimizer. Even if the main app is closed but the RAM optimizer is running, playback jerks, and sometimes it looks like playback reverses for a moment.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:39 pm

The free version has a RAM optimizer too, Robert. It's among the utilities in version 3 (which is now called Advanced System Care).
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:51 pm

I gave up on RAM optimizers a long time ago, but wanted to see if this offered anything different, since it was there.

They have a special of $19.95 for a 1 year subscription for the Pro version, which I got. I want to see what else it can do. If I don't see any significant improvements, then I'll drop the subscription.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler