They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Maintain Aspect Ratio

Talk about anything here.

Maintain Aspect Ratio

Postby fischettijw » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:25 pm

Is there a way to RESTRAIN the ASPECT RATIO of a clip (still or movie) when it is being re-sized?

Joe
fischettijw
New User
New User

Re: Maintain Aspect Ratio

Postby Paul LS » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:49 pm

If you right click on the clip in PE4 and select Properties you can adjust the size under Motion, Scale. Also there is a check box to maintain the aspect ratio.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby fischettijw » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:26 am

Paul LS wrote:If you right click on the clip in PE4 and select Properties you can adjust the size under Motion, Scale. Also there is a check box to maintain the aspect ratio.

Paul

I actually want to select my own ASPECT RATIO. For example my clip may have 5x3 aspect ratio and I may want to Crop, Zoom, or Pan maintaining a 4x3 aspect ratio not the aspect ratio of the original clip. Do you know of any way to accomplish this task?

Joe
fischettijw
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:31 am

With your clip on the timeline, right click on it and deselect Scale to Frame. The aspect ratio should then be the same as the original. If you then want to adjust the aspect ratio you can use the Crop effect under the Transform effect folder. By using this together with checking the zoom box you can set the crop to maintain an aspect ratio and zoom at the same time. But it is not a very straight forward way of doing it.

Another and better way may be to used a track matte mask with the correct aspect ratio and place this over the clip. However it really depends on what you are trying to achieve. Will this be a picture-in-picture type effect?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby fischettijw » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:18 pm

Paul LS wrote:With your clip on the timeline, right click on it and deselect Scale to Frame. The aspect ratio should then be the same as the original. If you then want to adjust the aspect ratio you can use the Crop effect under the Transform effect folder. By using this together with checking the zoom box you can set the crop to maintain an aspect ratio and zoom at the same time. But it is not a very straight forward way of doing it.

Another and better way may be to used a track matte mask with the correct aspect ratio and place this over the clip. However it really depends on what you are trying to achieve. Will this be a picture-in-picture type effect?

Paul

Thanks again. I'll spent some time with your tips and see if they will help.

Joe
fischettijw
New User
New User

Return to Water Cooler