They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Video and Hyperdrama

Talk about anything here.

Video and Hyperdrama

Postby cdeemer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:28 pm

Does anyone know of anyone adapting hyperdrama principles to video? (Hyperdrama uses branching narrative storytelling so that each individual observer must choose how to move through the story.) I'm making a hyperdrama video for showing at the Hypertext 08 Conference in Pittsburg this summer and am curious what others are doing. Ten years ago I could count the number of writers working in hyperdrama (in the world!) on two hands but the form has become more popular since then, especially in Europe. Any info appreciated. Thanks.
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Video and Hyperdrama

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:39 pm

This sounds really interesting Charles, I would like to know more about it.
I will be watching this topic with great interest.

Is there a sample short Hyperdrama on the web somewhere that you know of and could point us too?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Video and Hyperdrama

Postby cdeemer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:58 pm

Ask and ye shall receive! As it happens, I've had 8 hyperdramas produced and some are on the web ... the starting point is http://www.ibiblio.org/cdeemer/hdrama.htm and I recommend the short one, "The Death of Violeta Parra" first, which I developed with a company in Chile as "an electronic playwright in residence" -- we developed it in a chat room!

My most ambitious one, the one I'm proudest of, is my retelling of Chekhov's "The Seagull" as a hyperdrama, also at the link above. So are several of my essays on the form -- the most fun to read is "Watch Out, Mama...!" and the most informative about the new theatrical form is "The New Hyperdrama."

I became obsessed with this form in 1984 when I was commissioned to write one and there really was only one around, Tamara in LA. The most commercially successful, although I consider it a variant of the form, is "Tony and Tina's Wedding."
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler