They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help! Can't convert .mov files to mp4

Talk about anything here.

Help! Can't convert .mov files to mp4

Postby Matthew Max » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:19 pm

Hey, everybody or somebody, I received some .mov files from a client who wants me to make an mp4 movie with them. He shoots the video files on his iPhone 12. He sends them to me from Europe and via Dropbox. It seems that Dropbox does alter the files. This doesn't happen when we use Drive.

It used to be easy to run a conversion program on my phone and make his files workable on my fine Windows equipment. Any equipment of mine, any program. But this time, I cannot get his files to work. They look fine on my phone, and when I try to move them to my computer, they're only audio.

I don't think the community has ever failed to solve my problems. Let's do this one more time.

EDIT: Well, we tried Drive and nothing changed. Can iPhone cameras be re-installed or whatever? I think this is the second iPhone of his that has been doing this.

Thanks.

Max
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Help! Can't convert .mov files to mp4

Postby sidd finch » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:57 pm

Would need to see a screenshot of the file properties to diagnose. Offhand I would say the the likely culprit is one of the following:

1. A PAL file format
2. An HEVC format file
3. Variable frame rate (Like Peru said)

But it is very difficult to pinpoint with out seeing the properties.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:11 pm

Please use the free MediaInfo and post a screenshot of the properties of your media in tree view:
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Many users are having issues with VFR. If the file is variable frame rate, use Handbrake to convert to constant frame rate:
https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Here is a tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... lvxgVREX-Y

Shutter Encoder may also be used to convert to Constant Frame Rate:
https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:34 pm

+1 for conversion using Handbrake.

I would be surprised if the culprit was PAL encoding but then, at my age, I am often surprised. :fg:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Matthew Max » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:56 pm

Hey, thanks for all the information, guys, because I will use it in the future. This time, it turns out that my client needed to update his devices.

What a relief!

By the way, I wasn't getting notifications of your replies. Any idea how I can check to see if something changed? I don't see any changes in my settings.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:43 am

Matthew Max wrote:By the way, I wasn't getting notifications of your replies. Any idea how I can check to see if something changed? I don't see any changes in my settings.

On the page where you post messages, right under the section where you compose the message is an Options tab. Make sure that "Notify me when a reply is posted" is checked. It's sticky, and remembers your choice the last time you posted. Another possibility: You've changed your email address without changing it in your User Profile account settings?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Matthew Max » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:35 pm

Hmm, well, I checked my email and it's the same. And the notifications box is still checked. I hate to miss replies to my calls for help, after my friends take the time to help me. the only reason I saw this reply is because I wondered if I hadn't received a notification, which I did not.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:03 am

I had a problem with my husband's old iPhone not transferring full rez files. I read online that iPhone with downsize on output unless changed in settings. Not sure if that is your specific problem. To transfer files I used WeTransfer. It is a free service.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:28 am

+1 for Wetransfer.

https://wetransfer.com/
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Water Cooler