They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Analog Photography

Talk about anything here.

Re: Analog Photography

Postby ed » Wed May 10, 2023 7:47 pm

Was sent a 'new' old Yashica Rookie camera so took it out last Friday for a test roll. This camera was only sold in Japan I believe, and was manufactured in 1956. It has a small format option, but I can't find that mask for sale. I may try to make my own when I have time. I love the camera though.

I went to Thurmont Maryland, which is a small town in the Catoctin mountain region of Maryland. Excellent trout streams, and Camp David is right outside the town. The President's helicopters fly over my house on their way there.

It was kind of sad. The last time I was here was the beginning of the Covid lockdowns. The downtown is basically shuttered now; most of the small businesses are closed and buildings boarded up.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu May 11, 2023 4:12 am

Beautiful, Ed! Another example of how music sets the tone. The combination of the B&W photography, the old buildings, and the music are haunting. ::CLAP:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby ed » Thu May 11, 2023 3:29 pm

Thanks for the kind words Dave. One problem with taking photos in the small towns around here are all of the power lines in the air, and trying to minimize them in the frame.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Analog Photography

Postby sidd finch » Thu May 11, 2023 8:05 pm

Enjoyed that one Ed. Are you using a tripod or is it hand held?

Sad that these little towns are all closing. So much cool history in the town that just kind of fades away. Nice you were able to capture the images.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Thu May 11, 2023 8:12 pm

ed wrote: One problem with taking photos in the small towns around here are all of the power lines in the air, and trying to minimize them in the frame.

But that adds to the charm of small towns.
Peru

Postby ed » Fri May 12, 2023 9:36 am

Sidd: I handhold unless it's low light, but I tend to go out in good light for the old cameras. This one has a top shutter speed of only 300. Also, I don't usually carry around the tripod, and people seem to get concerned when you use it in some settings. Hopefully some of these towns will have another renaissance when our current economics are more settled.

Peru: I get what you're saying, but the power lines all over really distract from the scene you try to photograph. Maybe I'll shoot a role of film where I don't try to minimize them.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sat May 13, 2023 9:05 am

Ed I bite my lip as I say this... but..... could you use photoshop to remove the power lines from the photo? I know how outrageous. I sent myself to bed with no supper as a punishment. :eek:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby ed » Sat May 13, 2023 2:00 pm

I did the sign of the cross after reading your comment Sidd :-D

I try to use the old cameras as they would have been used back in the day. I do tend to over expose when needed, and adjust the levels in photoshop though. Just trying to be authentic.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sun May 14, 2023 12:26 pm

I did the sign of the cross after reading your comment Sidd :-D

My local Bishop called to tell me I was not welcome at Mass today... :hyst:

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby ed » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:50 pm

Maybe my favorite camera - Canon Canonet QL17 GIII. It has an amazing 40mm lens that can drop to f/1.7. It's often called the "poor man's Leica". One really nice thing is you don't really need a battery; the meter is great on auto but if you don't have a battery you can do manual exposure settings. On mine one of the small plastic tabs for the battery door broke, so I've had to cover it with black electrical tape. Thinking of buying a broken one for the battery door.

Nothing too exciting, a stream near the house I like to fish and explore and some home photos.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:29 am

Ed I enjoyed that one. The photos look dramatic. Well done. The music reminded me of something by Kraftwerk. I always enjoy your videos.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby ed » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:34 am

Thanks Sidd! Agree on the music take.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ed » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:21 pm

Some folks in my neighborhood take Halloween pretty seriously. Photos taken with my Minolta Hi-Matic G point and shoot camera and Arista Edu 200 black & white film. What a great little camera, almost 50 years old now, and the zone focus has never let me down.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:09 pm

Very nice!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:09 pm