They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

NY City recorded in Red 12K

Talk about anything here.

NY City recorded in Red 12K

Postby sidd finch » Mon May 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: NY City recorded in Red 12K

Postby Bob » Mon May 21, 2018 4:23 pm

That's a very nice video, but, it's misleading. It may have been filmed in 4K, but we aren't viewing it in 12K. According to the YouTube notes, it is an 8K export. Even then, at best, we can only stream it at 4K. The best I can do from my computer is 1920x1080. Even movie theaters typically project at 2K although there are some that can handle 4K.

So, why do 12K? The advantages of 12K video are in post. Assuming you are going to export at a smaller frame size, you have a lot of leeway to improve your lower resolution end product. You can export at a final smaller frame size and get greater apparent sharpness than video filmed at the smaller frame size natively. You have greater freedom to crop or reframe the image and maintain the quality of your final export. Likewise, you can stabilize the footage without worrying about the inevitable cropping that results. Pans and zooms can be added in post and may be much smoother than manual ones in camera. Another advantage is the ability to pull high resolution stills suitable for printing. To a smaller extent, this applies to 4K as well. Although, 12K to 2K gives a lot more room to work with than 4K to 2K.
Bob

Postby Ron » Tue May 22, 2018 12:32 pm

That is still quite stunning!
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sidd finch » Sat May 26, 2018 9:03 am

Some pretty intense video. But when I watch it sometimes looks like it is computer generated and not even real. There seems to be an over saturation of colors trend that I am not sure if I like or not.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler