They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

WHY? oh, why?

Talk about anything here.

WHY? oh, why?

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun May 20, 2018 10:25 am

Sunday morning rant. Why would Microsoft go out of their way to uninstall previously installed fonts with Windows updates? I just got the "April" Windows 10 update and lost my DokChampa (TTF) font. Had to go find it and reinstall. This is something that's happened numerous times, not with just this font but with others. I can think of no good reason, but would be interested if anyone knows why. :mad:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: WHY? oh, why?

Postby Bob » Sun May 20, 2018 12:08 pm

I can't say whether this is what bit you or not, but Microsoft has been changing the way fonts are installed and managed. With the April update, the font management features have been added to the Settings App under the Personalization section. The older font management features are still present in the Control Panel for now, but the preferred method is the Settings App and the Control Panel will eventually go away. Also, added was the ability to buy and install fonts directly from the Microsoft Store.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that changes were made in Creator's update to prepare for the changes in the April Update. I've heard reports of fonts disappearing beginning with Windows 10 Creator's update. Primarily, those fonts affected were installed as a shortcut (an advanced feature disabled by default). But, that certainly isn't the whole story. When Creator's update was installed, I lost some fonts that were installed by non-Microsoft applications. I suspect that fonts that were simply copied to the system fonts folder instead of using the install option are more likely to encounter issues. It's possible that those fonts are missing metadata or registry fields.

I haven't installed the April update yet. I'm using Windows 10 Professional which lets me defer installation of feature updates for a while. Hopefully, by the time Windows Update pushes this to my system, more bugs will be worked out.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun May 20, 2018 12:30 pm

Thanks for the reply Bob. Very interesting. I can say that the only way that I install fonts is using the install option - I never just copy them to the fonts folder. I've had issues like this for some time, and I can't necessarily blame it all on Windows 10 - I'm sure it's happened in previous Windows versions too. Usually I'm able to find and reinstall them as they disappear, but I'm sure that there have been fonts that I've used in older publications that I wouldn't even know have gone missing.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sun May 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Dave maybe you could use the "always" popular Comic Sans, or Papyrus instead? :hyst:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun May 20, 2018 2:26 pm

sidd finch wrote:Dave maybe you could use the "always" popular Comic Sans, or Papyrus instead? :hyst:

The great staples of the font world. Where would we be without them? I try to utilize them as often and as indiscriminately as possible, and in extremely large sizes.

Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Sun May 20, 2018 5:53 pm

sidd finch wrote:Dave maybe you could use the "always" popular Comic Sans, or Papyrus instead? :hyst:

Sidd

The "best" of both worlds:
http://www.complex.com/style/2014/12/be ... pyrus-font
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun May 20, 2018 6:54 pm

It’s perfect! Peanut butter and chocolate, spaghetti and meatballs, chips and dip, comic sans and papyrus. The all-around go-to font for use in any situation. This will make all other fonts obsolete. I’m going to install it and free up a whole lot of disc space.

Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Sun May 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:The all-around go-to font for use in any situation. This will make all other fonts obsolete. I’m going to install it and free up a whole lot of disc space.

:CS:
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Mon May 21, 2018 10:55 am

you have papyrus on my comic sans.... no you have comic sans on my papyrus.... he looks great..... :exc:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler