They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Microsoft ICE

Talk about anything here.

Microsoft ICE

Postby sidd finch » Sat May 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Microsoft ICE

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat May 19, 2018 2:12 pm

I've enjoyed using ICE. When I opened the Start menu now and looked for it, I thought that Microsoft didn't reinstall it after updating my Windows 10.

I wonder what else didn't get reinstalled.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sat May 19, 2018 5:20 pm

The current version, Microsoft ICE 2.0.3, was released two years ago. I used to use it a lot, but once I started shooting panoramas mainly in raw format, I switched to Photomerge in Adobe Camera Raw (and Lightroom) which does the merge using the raw file data and saves the merged result as a DNG raw file which can be edited just like any other raw file. ICE can read and merge raw files too, but it does so by using the WIC codec to extract the embedded jpeg image which kind of negates the reason for shooting raw in the first place. Still, it's a decent program and the panorama from video feature looks interesting although I haven't tried that yet.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Sun May 20, 2018 1:46 pm

ICE seems like a cool project. I wanted to try making some tiny planet photos but not sure if photo-merge can make tiny planet pictures.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Sun May 20, 2018 11:45 pm

Photomerge does not do that, I don't really consider that a limitation. I don't often shoot spherical panoramas. More often than not, I'll want to make a tiny planet image from a normal photo or moderate panorama. For example, the sunset photo below was made from a single 16:9 photo from my cell phone.

tiny_planet.jpg

This one was a basic transform using the polar coordinates method. The polar coordinates method usually needs some cleanup and the corners of the image can be a little streaky depending on the image. A better solution would have been to use the free polar projection plugin for Photoshop. There are also free or low cost apps for your phone that will create a tiny planet image from a photo. Of course, there's no rule that says you can't use ICE. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Return to Water Cooler