They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hello and A Question

Talk about anything here.

Re: Hello and A Question

Postby Bobby » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:30 am

I am making good progress. I am well into the copying of the remaining miniDV tapes, and have also found my three spreadsheets that contained all of my video tape information, content, what was produced on DVDs, what was on shorter .mov files, etc.

I haven't gotten around to looking further at the older camcorder for Hi8 tapes that wasn't working, but if I can't get that working there are alternatives, thanks Peru.

So, if I decide to produce new content, now the next question: What is everybody distributing their work on? DVD? Blu Ray? Uploading to video sharing services? Thumb Drives? Media HDMI boxes?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:30 am

Bobby Glad to hear you are back in the saddle.

There are DVD producers but I think a big segment is moving to online. Vimeo and YouTube are reputable places to keep content. One of the advantages with onlile is that it supports multiple device sharing with little cost of DVD production. If you want grand-kids to watch then having it available to watch on their smartphone is a plus. Also it can be streamed to a TV without having to worry about compatible DVD players.

A lot is who your target audience prefers to watch but you can always do both.

Personally having online is a whole lot easier and flexible to me. I can share quicker over greater distances.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bobby » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:10 am

Thanks Sidd, and I am not sure I am back in the saddle yet, just sizing up the horses in the corral!

My goal for now is to just make sure the tape content is available as editable files and all is documented as much as I can. I am hoping that some day one of my children or grandchildren will pick up the cause.

I checked, and I think I have let my Vimeo account lapse. Another thing to work on!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:55 pm

Bobby wrote:I checked, and I think I have let my Vimeo account lapse. Another thing to work on!

Which is why I would hesitate to put everything in online pay-for storage. You stop paying them and then where are you?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:41 pm

In my experience when you stop paying your account reverts back to a free account. You uploads stay but instead of being able to upload 5gb per week all hd, you can only upload 500mb per week and 1 hd video per week.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:16 pm

The last videos I shared with anyone I put them on a thumb drive. I also did a project for a friend about a year ago converting old VHS tapes to digital, put those on DVDs and flash drives. I will upload videos to YouTube, Facebook or Vimeo that I want to share with a broad audience, also have a website with a separate space to place files for family to download. It's great that I can hook a portable drive to a TV and watch any movie and have converted everything to MP4 just for that purpose.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:31 pm

sidd finch wrote:In my experience when you stop paying your account reverts back to a free account. You uploads stay but instead of being able to upload 5gb per week all hd, you can only upload 500mb per week and 1 hd video per week.

Good info. I didn't realize that. Well worth maintaining a higher level account to do the uploads if people will be able to access the video "forever". I assume this applies to Vimeo. I wonder if people would also be able to download any videos they wanted to if it reverted to a free account?

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bobby » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. I agree that my Vimeo account should have reverted to free status, so I am not sure what is going on. I tried to access my account from my Apple TV and that also failed. I did request a password reset, but they said my email was unknown. I need to think about it and perhaps I was using a different email for only that purpose. Ah nothing is ever easy.

Hard drives are getting cheaper, so I got another one recently and put all of my DVD images on it. I also included the VCI program and IMGBURN so that my daughter could both play and burn the images. I may do future updates by flash drive.

Today I scanned 8 out of the 10 miniDV tapes. All went well, but it took about 10GB of storage for each tape. Lucky that terabytes are cheap these days!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:24 am

Late to this "party" to say Hello, welcome back Bobby.

For sharing video:-

...with one or two people I use USB pen drives as Chuck does or DVD. To share more widely I put them on my NAS so it can be accessed over the internet. Otherwise it is Vimeo.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bobby » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:14 am

Hi Twosheds!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:57 am

G O O D N E W S !

The older 8mm camcorder DOES work! The problem was that the a/c socket I plugged it into on a power strip was BAD. Problem solved and now I can read (again) the old 8mm and Hi8 tapes.

And I have finished scanning the miniDV tapes, 108GB later! Next step is to go through my spreadsheets and attempt to determine what still needs to be scanned of the 8mm.

The bottom line is that my workflow was wrong. I would record tapes, but not scan in until I had a need, or wanted to use the scene(s) in a specific project. I thought that I could always just read the tapes when I needed to. But given the Firewire issue, that workflow may have been faulty, and also would leave my old memories on fragile tape subject to de- magnetization.

The bottom line: always copy your stuff to the latest media format ASAP.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:02 pm

Glad to hear things are turning around for you!

Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:57 pm

Bobby wrote:The bottom line: always copy your stuff to the latest media format ASAP.

...and back it up.

Remember Schofield's First and Second Laws:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/follow-sc ... disasters/
Peru

Postby Bobby » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Peru wrote:
Bobby wrote:The bottom line: always copy your stuff to the latest media format ASAP.

...and back it up.

Remember Schofield's First and Second Laws:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/follow-sc ... disasters/

always do! I am a fanatic about that. I even have a 6TB HD loaded up and in my safe deposit box.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:47 pm

Bobby wrote:always do! I am a fanatic about that.

I know you do, Bobby. I was just adding to your advice to others that haven't learned the hard way.
Peru

PreviousNext

Return to Water Cooler