They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hello and A Question

Talk about anything here.

Re: Hello and A Question

Postby sidd finch » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:03 pm

Keeping your wife happy should be enough to keep the synapse's firing on all cylinders to remember your chops... :hyst:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:01 pm

Bobby wrote:I agree Sidd. My wife has made the transition to doing all photos and videos with her iPhone7

I hope the videos are horizontal and not vertical.
...or did I open a can of worms?
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:12 pm

lol no worms here... that's why they call it 16x9 and not 9x16

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bobby » Tue May 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Oh yes, big can. Let's wait until the muvipix biggies weigh in!

Yes, it's true that many people take portrait mode for videos. What I find interesting is that you see lots of them on the TV news when they have gotten clips from people "on the scene". Very often they are portrait, and the video editors have to put enlarged, faded backgrounds in them to fill up the side space.

With regard to my wife's videos, I think she realizes that landscape is correct.

I did look up stabilizers for iPhones, etc. Around $100 for a decent one, and they looked interesting. A lot cheaper than a new camera...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue May 01, 2018 7:29 pm

Re: smartphone stabilizers. There is a new OSMO stabilizer coming out -- the OSMO Mobile 2 -- it's $129. Looks pretty good. It's already available through the Apple Store. General availability is coming soon -- you can preorder now. Looks like a pretty good stabilizer. I'll probably end up buying this one myself. :-D

Nothing wrong with smartphone video. One caveat though. Smartphone video is generally variable frame rate instead of fixed frame rate. That's mainly an issue if you are going to edit the video. Most modern players handle it fine. Many video editors, like PrE, however, expect constant frame rate video and you can get out of sync with the audio. If you are going to edit, it's best to convert it to constant frame rate video using a tool such as Handbrake.

I'm a horizontal video kind of guy. I shoot video using my smartphone, camcorder, and DSLR and expect to be able to edit my video and watch it full screen in horizontal orientation on my HDTV. I don't view my phone as the primary place where I take and view video and I don't share on social media. When I do view video on my smartphone, I don't mind turning it horizontally to view my video in full screen. I guess I'm old fashioned that way.
Bob

Postby Bobby » Wed May 02, 2018 8:56 am

Thanks Bob. I agree on all and I will keep an eye out on that stabilizer. Also thanks for the tip on Handbrake - I just downloaded it - looks powerful.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Wed May 02, 2018 10:09 am

There are some really great brands of stabilizers out there that are pretty inexpensive. I purchased a Q-Smooth for $99 that works great. I like it because it can be used with my smart phone and with my GoPro.

https://www.amazon.com/Zhiyun-Smooth-Q- ... izer&psc=1

Bob is right on the framerate. But.... I use an app called FILMIC PRO that allows for a constant frame rate. It is $14.99 and for my uses it is an easy to use app that works really well.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Wed May 02, 2018 3:22 pm

The OSMO Mobile 2 can also be used with a GoPro -- you just need an adaptor plate.

Gimbals have come a long way and the current models are much better and much less expensive than the older ones. The Smooth-Q and the OSMO Mobile 2 are similar in functionality. There are differences that could affect which would be better for you -- range of motion, for one. Like anything else, people need to do their homework and decide which is a better fit. Also, look at the Zhiyun Smooth 3 and the new Smooth 4.

I'm waiting to get an actual hands on look at the OSMO Mobile 2 before making a final decision. I've looked at the Zhiyun Smooth Q and the original OSMO Mobile.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Wed May 02, 2018 3:41 pm

In addition to price the one thing I liked on the Q-Smooth was that is had the ability to attache the bottom to a tripod or monopod. I use mine a lot with a monopod to get some really cool boom shots. But both are really good stabilizers. They use heavy duty motors and also have the ability to charge your device from the handheld batterypack.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Bobby » Thu May 03, 2018 11:16 am

Good info - thanks. Just for grins I tried a quick video on my iPhone 7 and yes a stabilizer is definitely needed!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Water Cooler