They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Remembering HAL, 50 years later

Talk about anything here.

Remembering HAL, 50 years later

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:28 pm

Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Remembering HAL, 50 years later

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:30 am

Have to subscribe to read. :(
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Aw, so sorry. Subscription was not required when I read it... but I can't read it now either. The article addressed the poor ratings from critics the film originally received vs the fact that the film is now considered one of the best 'future visions' ever to have been created. Talked about the very long into without dialog and also described the great lengths Kubric and Clarke went to in their attempt to forecast technology that did not exist at that time. Specifically flat screens, a wide communications system, vision phones, computers multi tasking, HAL's beakdown and 'death' and such. Mentioned that this is one of the very few that does not create whoosh and zooming sounds to simulate space travel...

Some of the comments by people who saw it at the time, either did 'get it' or did not. How many times they may have seen it before they did understand. Some who had already read the book. Some who were science fiction fans in general. (As I was, back then.) Some who saw it when they were stoned and their reactions to the colors-zoom through...

Here's another article that also compares now and then: (hopefully it won't require payment as soon as this link is posted!)

https://www.wired.com/2015/08/amazingly ... e-odyssey/
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Good article. Thanks Paz. “ ...would be a computer into which men went, rather than a computer around which men walked." That always just seemed right to me. Hal wasn’t a toy. It was a very large and sophisticated computer that controlled every aspect of the ship. Of course it was large. Or at least it seemed it had to be at the time. I can’t imagine anyone getting anything of value out of the movie without having read the book first (which I did). It was almost as if Kubrick wasn’t going to bother explaining it to you. You either already knew what was going on or too bad. No handholding on that one!
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:41 am

The Wikipedia article is also very interesting about how they got some of the shots for the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_(film)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler