They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Using a handheld gimbal as a slider

Talk about anything here.

Using a handheld gimbal as a slider

Postby sidd finch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Here’s an example showing off how you can emulate a smooth slider shot by using only a gimbal.

In order to get the smooth slider-esque shot, you simply need to attach the gimbal to your tripod. Afterward, position the gimbal facing forward and through your gimbal’s settings, lock it down. By doing so, you prevent the gimbal head itself from moving. Now if you move the gimbal left and right via the tripod, the camera will remain facing forward, mimicking the motions of a traditional camera slider.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Using a handheld gimbal as a slider

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:40 pm

I like this! Though I think I need to learn a bit more how gimbals work.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:44 pm

Once you start using one I don't think you will ever go back. It is a device that keeps the camera level by pivoting around it. It uses electric brushless motors to stabilize the camera on 3-Axis — The gimbal stabilizes motion in 3 axes: pitch, roll, and yaw.

They make your footage look like it is floating on air.

Basically, a motor is placed on the 3 different axes around the camera. When the sensors detect motion on these axes, the motors counteract that motion to cancel it out almost instantly. This keeps bumps and jolts from ever reaching the camera as it sits motionless in the middle of all of this activity.

For $100 you can get a decent gimbal. But this if for something in an iPhone-GoPro size.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Thank you for the explanation, Sidd!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:23 pm

The one downside is they have a habit of having the motor noise picked up on the camera. Sometimes you need to use an external recorder so your video does not have camera noise. But for me it is well worth it.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:29 pm

With the gimble I have, you hold down a button on the gimbal's handle to "lock" the gimble so the camera faces the same direction no matter which direction you pan. Would that be using it as a slider?
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:22 pm

With the gimble I have, you hold down a button on the gimbal's handle to "lock" the gimble so the camera faces the same direction no matter which direction you pan. Would that be using it as a slider?

Yes that in combination with panning the tripod at the some time will give a slider effect. I tried it out with my gimbal and smart phone and it worked pretty well. I think I need to get a better tripod head so that the panning motion is smoother.

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler