They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Read Acronis' 2018 manual now I've got 2 identical machines

Talk about anything here.

Read Acronis' 2018 manual now I've got 2 identical machines

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:14 pm

I have a second desktop machine that is identical to the one in my signature ("one is none, two is one," etc.)

Upon reading the section of the manual on Acronis Universal Restore, I learned that one may restore a mirror image to a machine other than the one that created it only if all the following are identical: the processor, the motherboard, the mass storage device.

It then occurred to me that this likely means that, provided the machines are similar, a cloned drive created with one machine MAY function in another, despite its being a different mass storage device.

I'm happy to report that, from one of the three cloned drives that I created with Disk 1 in the below machine, I was able to place that drive in Disk 1 position in the second machine and use it to clone two more drives.

The end result is that each of the two machines now contains three identical bootable C drives.

The only program that recognized the different machine so far is Premier Elements 2018, however, this is not a problem as Adobe allows a single copy to be installed on two different machines.

My next project is to do the same with my two Dell laptops. From the one internal C Drive that I have already cleaned up and am currently defragmenting, I plan to create 3 cloned drives = two for each machine.

BTW, I did not place the Source drive for the desktops in an external enclosure, as recommended in the Acronis 2018 manual; however, I will do so for the laptop which the manual states is "especially important." Acronis maintains for the best possible result when cloning, the target drive should be located where it will be used, including using one and the same wires and clips. I'll report back later with the results.

Edit: 2/11 evening: When I was preparing to clone the Source Drive of my laptop from the external case, Acronis informed me that the it has lots of errors that should be fixed by Windows before using it. I'd already run the upper of the two in the Check Disk window below, so now I've been running the lower check box for the past 3 hours and I'm still at only at 75% complete.

Edit: 2/11@8pm: Acronis still not happy, so I'm now re-optimizing the Source Drive with the Performance Tab of NIS, after first cleaning it up with Norton.

Check Disk.JPG

:hat:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Read Acronis' 2018 manual now I've got 2 identical machi

Postby Peru » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:31 pm

If you had a third identical computer, you could have had a offsite backup computer. :fg:
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Peru wrote:If you had a third identical computer, you could have had a offsite backup computer. :fg:

When I was using four different XP machines -- two for editing, the other two for burning DVDs and BluRays -- all had identical C drives. However, because it's only recently that I've had success with cloning, at that time I made one mirror image from my "primary" machine to an external HDD, then restored from the external HDD to each of the other three machines.

I feel more comfortable with what I am doing now because all of the programs that I use are either single-user -- which means I can use one copy on as many machines as I own -- or licensed for multiple machines. I'm authorized to use Acronis, for example, on up to eight different machines, each with its own serial number. I'm using four of the serial numbers for my two desktops and two laptops, plus one for my wife's machine and one for the machine of a friend in the Philippines.

I once asked the rep, "If I am booting with the Acronis True Image Rescue Media (a DVD) to backup or to clone, must I actually have the software installed on each of the two machines?"

"You don't but you should," she replied.

If memory serves, I'm paying about $12/month ($149 per year) to play by the rules, which I am happy to do for such a fabulous program and support, such as I experienced the other day.* Yet another reason is that my wife :love4: the appearance of the "elegant" shortcut on her desktop.
_____
*I've always liked the Acronis slogan, "Compute with confidence," however, they don't appear to be using it anymore.

Acronis shortcut.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Peru wrote:If you had a third identical computer, you could have had a offsite backup computer. :fg:

Here is why Steve's books are similar to :::muvipix::: -- I am a single-user who is legally allowed to use them with as many different machines as I wish.

:fg:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler