They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Acronis Customer Service alert!

Talk about anything here.

Acronis Customer Service alert!

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:48 am

As Emeril the chef would say, Acronis has "kicked it up a notch. Bam!"

Background: I've been attempting for years to make clones rather than mirror images of my C drives, as clones are much less cumbersome to create and use. The instructions always appear sooooo straightforward. Problem is, I've never been able to boot with the results. I would always get a message to "insert your first installation disk," but neither that nor the System Repair disk would solve the problem. Today, I decided to give it one more try -- and got the same result as always.

Logging on to the Acronis web site informed me that my annual subscription for True Image 2017 is active until the end of April, so I clicked Support.

Whoa!

The first image depicts what I saw after clicking Support.

Acronis Support 01.JPG

The next image shows what I saw after clicking the top-left box.

Acronis Support 02.JPG

Of the various choices, I prefer chat for 2 major reasons 1) I generally begin chatting within a minute or two 2) I can save the entire session to read over later.

Here is what happened: someone named Sujoy came on and, after we'd spent some time wrestling to the ground precisely what my problem is, she replied, "You need to use your Rescue Media to Add the Drive before you can use it as a target."

There's more to the story. After I'd exited and saved the chat, she sent me a lengthy email informing me that her name is Sujoy Maharana, and if my problem is not solved, then .... She listed all sorts of alternative solutions in detail and, in addition provided the case number to use if I needed more customer service, PLUS a username and password to use for expedited attention!

However, by the time I saw that email, my first-ever clone was already up and :exc: -- with each and every one of my 30 or so desktop shortcuts not only "present and accounted for" but actually functional, despite the fact that most of their targets are on my external HDDs. :yh:

Here's another pleasant observation: the True Image 2018 downloadable User Manual (PDF) is actually not only understandable but also exceedingly-well organized.

Moreover, it states that my 2017 version is the exception to the rule that backups made with one version may not function correctly with the newer version. Plus, there is no charge for updating.

I almost never "update" my system if all is well, but I will admit that, because the manual for 2018 is so well done, I'm going to spring for the software version that it covers -- but only after creating a "snapshot" with RollbackRXPro that I can roll back to if necessary ("trust but verify").

BTW, apart from cloning there are dozens of other tasks that this "integrated software suite that ensures the security of all the information on your PC" is capable of, including not only syncing but also wiping files. The functionthat particularly interests is Acronis Active Protection, which is a real-time program designed to prevent a hostile takeover by ransomware. I'll do my homework before installing it. I'll report back later the outcome of "updating" from ATI 2017 to 2018.

:hat:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Acronis Customer Service alert!

Postby tjodork » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:30 am

I also have been very impresses with Acronis customer support.... very helpful ...and make sure you have a solution. I dont know when they made the change but KUDOs!
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Acronis Customer Service alert!

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 am

tjodork wrote:I also have been very impresses with Acronis customer support.... very helpful ...and make sure you have a solution. I dont know when they made the change but KUDOs!

A rep in New Delhi (India) pent nearly three hours on the phone with me today re Acronis' apparent inability to clone Drive C of my laptop.

I asked him, "Is there a limit to the amount of time you may spend on the phone with one customer?"

"I stay on the phone as long as necessary to achieve a resolution of the customer's problem."

"Does this mean you often need to work beyond the official end of your shift?"

"Yes."

"Are you paid extra for staying late?"

"No."

I agreed to allow him limited remote access to my machine with the understanding that I could, with a single click, interrupt it at any time. By watching his cursor, I learned all sorts of things, including how to know whether my Source drive is MBR or GPT. It turned out that I had done everything correctly using Acronis 2017 Rescue Media, so the next step he wanted to try was to download Acronis 2018 to my machine and use it to create a different type of Rescue Media. Problem was, the download was taking forever, so as an alternative he sent me a detailed email re how to do this myself.

I actually already know what to do, as I've read -- with a yellow highlighter in my hand -- all 197 pages of the Acronis True Image 2018 documentation. He advised that the chief advantage of 2018 over 2017 is a active program to prevent a takeover of my machine by ransomware. However I already have NIS on-guard, so I'm going to try a few other measures before resorting to adding yet another layer of oversight.

The point of this post is the truly remarkable level of customer service that Acronis is now offering.

BTW, the rep informed me that phone support like this is also available to customers who opt for a "perennial" (one-time payment) service instead of the annual subscription service like the one I have.

::CLAP:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler