They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

which microphone for interviewing people

Talk about anything here.

Re: which microphone for interviewing people

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:13 pm

What's your budget? How much would you like to spend?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:33 pm

hbi31 wrote:I have a client who needs a lapel mike for recording his own voice .... He also needs a handheld mike for interviewing people and recording himself. I want both mikes to have a 1/8" plug and a long cord. .... The kind of mike he needs will allow him to hold the mike farther from his mouth and to be able to hold it near interviewees without stuffing it into their mouths. Interviews don't go well when you do that. So, this mike should pick a voice up really well from four inches out to even a few feet.

My client needs a wired lapel mike and a wired handheld.

If the handheld is a must, say, for show, then the following will not work. Is there some reason two wired lapel mics like the below will not do the job?

Lapel mics.JPG

:hat:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Sounds like you would use a lav mic and maybe a condenser mic. The SM58 is a good mic but it is only for close proximity. The mic's polar pattern is tuned for vocal range. If you need the mic to be a bit hotter mic then a condenser mic would accomplish that. It has a larger polar pattern so that it can pick up larger areas of sound. You might also try using a mixer to connect both mic's to your camera. That way you can adjust the levels so that both mics are responding in the way that is needed. As far as brands go there is a lot of variety so what you get will be based on the dollar amount you want to spend.

Rode makes some great mic's and is pretty reasonably priced. The Rode REPORTER Omnidirectional Dynamic Interview Microphone is pretty well reviewed and will not break the bank.

https://www.amazon.com/Rode-REPORTER-Om ... Microphone

Behringer makes a decent mixer for about $25.00

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... xer%2C+New

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler