They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

USB 3.1

Talk about anything here.

USB 3.1

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:00 pm

I've just downloaded the firmware update for the Pany Lumix GH5 which features the ability to tether the GH5 to my computer. I'm most excited about this because I will have a BIG screen to be able to determine focus instead of the business size flip out monitor on the camera.

Requirements: fast USB cable and connection to the computer.

My computer's USB 3 and USB 3.1 connectors have not worked from the time I assembled the pieces. I tried to download the latest drivers. All my drivers were already up to date. I went into Device Manager and found that every one said it was working properly. I began digging in other Device Manager tabs and found that several had a checked box indicating the computer had authority to turn off the connections for energy savings. I unchecked all those boxes so everything should now be turned on.

I connected my Transcend USB 3.0/3.1 card reader with a 128 GB Sandisk V30 SDXC 95 MB/s card to a USB 2.0 port and had a transfer rate of around 43 MB/s. This speed is consistent with my normal transfer speed.

I connected same card to a USB 3.0 port and (for the first time!) got a transfer speed averaging 85 MB/s. The USB 3.0 ports have never worked before.

Since the card reader says it can transfer USB 3.1, I connected the card reader to each of those ports and none of them work. By 'not working' I mean nothing happens. The computer does not see the file. Neither the card nor the cord or port or anything begins to hum or vibrate. Just seems dead.

I'm wondering... do the USB 3.1 ports not activate because the speed of my V-30 SDXC card is limited to 90 MB/s, the rate of USB 3.0?

I think I'm going to need the USB 3.1 connection with the tether cable to get a good image from the camera. I was able to tether with USB 2.0 before I got the USB threes working, but the image on my computer screen seemed quite low in resolution. Blurry. I have a 15 ft tether cable on order. Is it likely that the live view will still be blurry until I get a faster SDXC card?

Also, while turning ON all the USB ports, there was a brief pop up about all the USB ports sharing energy and possibly each port only having 20% (If I remember correctly. It went away quickly.) Does that mean I need to turn OFF all the USB ports except the two or three I'll be using?

thanks,

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: USB 3.1

Postby Peru » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:52 pm

What are your power supply specifications?
Peru

Re: USB 3.1

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:43 pm

1200 watts. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085 ... UTF8&psc=1

Here's a thread from when I put it together... with help from :::muvipix::: all of YOU! ::CLAP:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14946&hilit=Big+Blue&start=15

my post 4:36 pm gives specs.

Thanks,

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Water Cooler