They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Shot Composition tips: What to Avoid

Talk about anything here.

Shot Composition tips: What to Avoid

Postby sidd finch » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:22 am

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Shot Composition tips: What to Avoid

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:13 am

Good info, thanks for posting Sidd :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Good stuff. :tup:
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks, Sidd. I can always use lessons on composition. I need refresher courses more and more now. I like the way this one was done showing the mistake and then the correct way.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:02 am

I need refresher courses more and more now

That is the truth. Sometimes I watch these kinds of instruction videos and forgot I even learned the same lesson a few years earlier. But, I really like the way they show a before and after picture. That helps me to better understand the concept.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks for posting this Sidd. Composition is good to know for video too. Sometimes a photo just looks good and once you dissect it, then you see the space, the balance, etc that goes into a good photo. At times it is hard to remember that when shooting video at an event. You want to enjoy the event yet capture too. Remember where the light is coming from, the settings, the person or object moving and so on. Lots to remember. And my memory isn't the best anymore. :-8

I went for a nature walk last week and planned on getting some awesome evening light photos. Got home and the ones I thought would be good were just ho hum.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:24 am

Sometimes a photo just looks good and once you dissect it, then you see the space, the balance, etc that goes into a good photo. At times it is hard to remember that when shooting video at an event. You want to enjoy the event yet capture too.

I agree, my first thought is I want to enjoy the event... Then I think well... I better pay attention to the camera too or it will have been a waste to have tried to capture it in the first place. Using that little GoPro is a bit more forgiving because of the wide angle but I do try to get in the right place to get the right shot.

One of the things I really like is to come home and see ....well what did I actually capture..... More often than not it is stuff that is so so... But then you get that shot that just says ....yesssss cool that is a good shot. I guess I have a lot of hard drive space reserved for a lot of ho hum stuff. #-o

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:54 am

This is a really serious dilemma, wanting to see the event but getting caught up in the capturing of the event. I got to the point that I was so obsessed about getting great shots that I completely missed the fun of what I was trying to capture. No matter how good the video turns out it still isn't the same as being there when it happened. I had to pretty much give up trying to record stuff as it was starting to take the fun out of everything we did. I have gotten back to some recording now but not anywhere close to what it used to be. Trying to balance all of that is very hard sometimes ::C
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:29 am

Isn't that the truth! My wife and I were at an event not long ago and as we approached the "peak moment" of the event she started urging me to take video. It would have been phone video anyway because I didn't have the camcorder with me. I declined, without offering explanation. She tried again, and I declined again. She was a little perturbed. Later I explained to her that if I had recorded it I would have missed seeing it live. I would have only seen it on the phone screen, and that's not why I went there. For so many years I've been "the guy" who gets all the archive footage of things like graduations and birthday parties. Sometimes I just want to relax and enjoy.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:29 pm

Dave McElderry wrote: I explained to her that if I had recorded it I would have missed seeing it live.

And it's worst if you do get the video and watch it at home only to find that you didn't get it right. Then you've missed it completely.
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:33 pm

A lot of events I would like to record or photograph are places where no cameras are allowed. Fortunately, most of those events are on DVD that can be purchased. And how many DVDs have I purchased? None. I guess my $30 was more important than having a recording to look at.

Regarding not being lazy, which I am, some of my better photographs are taken lying on my stomach. The ones you have to work for and be creative are the ones you enjoy the most.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Peru wrote:
Dave McElderry wrote: I explained to her that if I had recorded it I would have missed seeing it live.

And it's worst if you do get the video and watch it at home only to find that you didn't get it right. Then you've missed it completely.

Yep!! You go to an event and watch it on the back of a LCD 3" screen. :-8 My oldest grand daughter sang with a group in Church and I was questioned where is my camera. Oh well. I did get her singing at VBS in a gym with 100 kids and the audio, well you get the picture. I make little videos for the grands for the tablet and the bday singing/candles gets played over and over. So, I would say that is important. When the little one turned 1 I had my other daughter hold the monopod for video and I shot photos. The benefit is that you get front row seating to the action. :-D

I went to a cousin's daughter's wedding shower and I was greeted at the door of "where are your cameras". Uhhhh I don't know if any of you guys have been to baby or wedding showers, but there isn't a lot of action to capture on video. Photos people can take with cells these days.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Water Cooler