They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Adobe Camera RAW vs Lightroom

Talk about anything here.

Adobe Camera RAW vs Lightroom

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sat May 27, 2017 9:46 pm

I've used ACR to edit RAW still images as long as it has been a part of Photoshop. I've never tried Lightroom.

First day, new camera, the RW2 files cannot be opened with ACR that I have and I cannot update past the ACR version I have now. I'm still using Photoshop CS6 and do not want to upgrade to CC. I see that Lightroom 6.9 could (or should be able to) open my RW2 files. It looks like I can purchase Lightroom 6 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65237578-P ... 6+software

Anyone know if LR6 would be able to go as high as version 6.9?

Is Lightroom more or less the same as Adobe Camera RAW?

thanks,

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Adobe Camera RAW vs Lightroom

Postby Bob » Sun May 28, 2017 1:39 am

Is Lightroom more or less the same as Adobe Camera RAW?

No, it's much more. Think of it as similar to Photoshop Elements Organizer with Adobe Camera Raw built-in. Like Organizer, you import your photos into the database using the Library Module and then you can work with them in the other modules. The Lightroom Develop Module is equivalent to Adobe Camera Raw. Edits are non-destructive and stored in the database. You can print from Lightroom directly or export to jpg or other image formats as needed or share to social media.

Anyone know if LR6 would be able to go as high as version 6.9?

The program installs as 6.0.0, but updates were available. I think the last available update was to 6.10.1, Adobe discontinued Lightroom 6 earlier this year and no longer sells it in their store or supports it -- there will be no further updates for version 6. Updates were downloaded through the program update function, but I'm not sure if the server is still functional or not. I believe the last update can be manually downloaded from Adobe though. Note: Although Lightroom and Photoshop CC added functionality to Raw processing, Lightroom 6 updates do not incorporate those additions. It's bug fixes and camera and lens support only.

Before you go out and buy Lightroom 6, consider that Adobe provides a free DNG converter that can convert the newer supported raw formats (which are not in CS6) to a DNG format which can be opened and edited in Photoshop CS6 ACR. The original files are untouched. It should solve your problem and the price is right.

I personally switched to the Adobe Creative Suite Photography plan long ago. That gives me both Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC for about $10/month. Not trying to convince anyone to go that route. Just mentioning it as an option.
Bob

Re: Adobe Camera RAW vs Lightroom

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Mon May 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Before you go out and buy Lightroom 6

Just downloaded and tried out DNG, Bob! You're right!!! The price IS right! It works with the ACR I already have... and for now that's all I need.

I probably will join CC someday... when my CS6 Premiere Pro won't work for video any longer. I find I'm taking stills from video much more often than taking still shots these days. Again, thanks! You're the greatest!

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Water Cooler