They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

SOS! I need to create a bootable Win10 DVD,,,

Talk about anything here.

SOS! I need to create a bootable Win10 DVD,,,

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:15 pm

...for my wife's new Win10 Acer laptop.

Problem: the DVD that is created by DriveCloner 6.0 looks good but fails to boot the system.

Thanks in advance!

#-o
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: SOS! I need to create a bootable Win10 DVD,,,

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:03 am

Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:45 pm

Bob wrote:http://www.wintips.org/windows-10-iso-download-dvd-media-installation-disk/

That's a fabulous link! Thanks very much, Bob.

I used a USB stick because the 4.6GB ISO file is a bit too large for a regular DVD. I'm confused by the following instruction:

When Rufus operation is completed, close Rufus utility, unplug the USB stick and use it to troubleshoot Windows 10 or to perform a clean OS installation[emphases added].

All I want to do is to create a bootable disk that I may use to mirror my wife's new Win10 machine to an external HDD, so I am not sure how to proceed when I reboot with the stick relocated to the top position in BIOS.

The first blue screen says Install Now, which is not my goal. But if I click the small link at the lower left, which is for repair, I don't see any option that will allow me to create a boot disk.

Please advise.

P.S. If the answer is that I should use ImgBurn instead of the burner that comes with the Acer, please include the specific link in your reply, as the one in the article is loaded with ads.

:-8

Thanks in advance.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:08 am

I don't know why DriveCloner 6.0 didn't create a fully bootable clone. It should have been able to do that. Perhaps you should try a different program such as Easeus Todo.

The bootable install you created on the USB stick can function as an intall disk or as a repair/rescue disk. The repair option could be used to make the drive that DriveCloner 6.0 created bootable. If you try that, make sure to only have that one disk connected to avoid part of the boot components being placed on a different drive.

It sounds like you may be wanting to create a standalone bootable backup disk similar to the one you had from Acronis. Is that what you are looking for?
Bob

Postby Peru » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:32 pm

I've used this recently to make clones of my video editing computer after I did a complete reinstall of the OS:
http://www.backup-utility.com/personal.html

I did have to create a Windows Repair Disc for Windows 7 and use it to boot and do a repair in order to use the clone.
They tell you how to make a bootable USB for Windows 10 here:
http://www.backup-utility.com/windows-1 ... -4348.html
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:52 pm

[quote="Bob"]I don't know why DriveCloner 6.0 didn't create a fully bootable clone. It should have been able to do that. Perhaps you should try a different program such as Easeus Todo.

I paid for Gold Support, so the folks at horizondatasystems are currently working on creating a standalone bootable backup disk like the one that I have for my Win7 machine and that worked right out of the mailing envelope that the backup CD arrived in. If they are unsuccessful, then I will certainly look at the program that you mention if, like DriveCloner, it can both a) mirror the entire drive b) backup just my files and folders (SmartSync is not yet available for Win10).

The bootable install you created on the USB stick can function as an intall disk or as a repair/rescue disk. The repair option could be used to make the drive that DriveCloner 6.0 created bootable. If you try that, make sure to only have that one disk connected to avoid part of the boot components being placed on a different drive.

The problem is that, when I choose the Repair option, the program does not show me the external and internal HDDs. It seems that its function is strictly to repair the OS that is installed on the C drive. BTW, this is the first time that I do not find on a Windows machine a one-time opportunity to create a set of installation disks for this exact machine. Nor does Windows give me the opportunity to create a mirror image without resorting to an outside vendor, like it has in the past. It seems that, if ever one experiences a corruption of the OS, one's only choice is to attempt to perform a Factory Reset followed by a Clean Install. But what if the problem is that the reason for the failure is that the C drive itself has failed. How will one perform a Factory Reset in such a case?

It sounds like you may be wanting to create a standalone bootable backup disk similar to the one you had from Acronis. Is that what you are looking for?[

Precisely. However, the reason I switched to DriveCloner is that Acronis failed to function with my newer Win7 machine (not the one in my signature but the one that I am using at this moment. I've taken the one in my signature permanently offline to protect it. /quote]
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:56 pm

Peru wrote:I've used this recently to make clones of my video editing computer after I did a complete reinstall of the OS:
http://www.backup-utility.com/personal.html

I did have to create a Windows Repair Disc for Windows 7 and use it to boot and do a repair in order to use the clone.
They tell you how to make a bootable USB for Windows 10 here:

Thanks for the reply.

Are you working with Win7 or 10? It's the latter that I am struggling with
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm on windows 10, but the second link is for windows 10:

You will need to disconnect the OS drive and connect the clone to use the repair option to make the clone bootable.
When I did that on Windows 7, the clone booted fine. I then shut down and reinstalled the original OS disk and when I turned the computer on, it automatically did a "repair" of the original OS disk and then booted OK, even with the repair disc removed.

By the way, I used an external hard drive dock to create the clone. I am still using HDDs, not SSDs.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Peru wrote:I'm on windows 10, but the second link is for windows 10:

Thanks again for the reply. I will look at that later when I have more time.

You will need to disconnect the OS drive and connect the clone to use the repair option to make the clone bootable.
When I did that on Windows 7, the clone booted fine. I then shut down and reinstalled the original OS disk and when I turned the computer on, it automatically did a "repair" of the original OS disk and then booted OK, even with the repair disc removed.

By the way, I used an external hard drive dock to create the clone.

A clone rather than a mirrored backup on the external drive? You will be able to boot from that if your internal drive fails? Or are you planning to first replace the internal drive and then boot with the repair disk to clone from the external to the internal HDD?

The external HDDs that I bought for my wife's laptop, to be used strictly for mirroring her system, are actual enclosed HDDs. Your use of the word "dock" seems to imply that what you did was to locate a drive designed for internal use to an external dock to create the clone. If that is the case, did you relocate the clone to the internal slot when you ran the repair disk to make it bootable?

Another question: Because there have been so many problems with Windows updates (according to Ask Woody), I'm planning to create a mirror image of her internal drive rather frequently--after first verifying with RollbackRXPro that her machine will still boot after installing the latest update. Given that her internal drive will have only the OS and a few apps on it (all data is on external HDDs), wouldn't it be nearly as fast to perform mirrored backups in comparison with clones? If so, I wouldn't mind spending a little extra time on the process, for the following reason: I've read that the backup/restore process is more likely than a clone to be error-free.

I am still using HDDs, not SSDs.

Me, too.

George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:56 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
A clone rather than a mirrored backup on the external drive? You will be able to boot from that if your internal drive fails? Or are you planning to first replace the internal drive and then boot with the repair disk to clone from the external to the internal HDD?

I prefer to have a clone rather than a system image. I clone first, and then switch out the original drive for the clone to test if it works properly. A clone is an exact physical copy of the original (except that the BIOS or Windows, not sure which, knows that the disk is a different disk, which may be why a repair is necessary). Just take out the old hard drive and pop in the clone. It's faster than restoring an image.
I do make images, too: belt and suspenders.

George Tyndall wrote:
The external HDDs that I bought for my wife's laptop, to be used strictly for mirroring her system, are actual enclosed HDDs. Your use of the word "dock" seems to imply that what you did was to locate a drive designed for internal use to an external dock to create the clone. If that is the case, did you relocate the clone to the internal slot when you ran the repair disk to make it bootable?

I use something like this and connect via eSATA This one only has USN 3.0 which will be much slower):
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

although I bought it on sale for about $20.00 a few years ago. I think Chuck also uses a dock like that one instead of external drives for data backup.

Yes, I physically connected the clone to the same SATA and power connection (I have a single combination SATA and power cable).
My computer case has slide out carriages for easy access to internal drives without opening the case.
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Ditto what Peru Bob said, same goes for me exactly even down to the BlacX box. It handles the small drives for my laptop and the large drives for my desktop. I use EaseUS Todo Workstation as my cloning agent. I also have regular backups and on one machine use Carbonite and do real-time backups to their cloud.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Bob, Peru and Chuck:

Whoa!

I really like this black box concept--not only for my wife's laptop but also for my desktop PCs.

Until now, I have been creating my mirror images of the C drives in my desktops internally. Problem is, as my internal drives are identical, it's difficult, after booting both drives, to be certain which is the one to be cloned. So far, I've gotten away with cloning to whichever has the lesser amount of used space. :oops:

Thank you very much for sharing your combined expertise.

:TU:

Edit:

Questions: Re EaseUS, do you advise the Free, Home or Workstation version?

Apart from the software, does the following hardware seem acceptable?

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Performance-Mobile-Hard-Drive/dp/B01DOL05OC/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1491362667&sr=8-3-fkmr3&keywords=western+digital+1tb+esata+2.5+inch+internal+drive

Note re the drive: "Package includes a hard drive only - no screws, cables, manuals included. Please purchase mounting hardware and cables separately if necessary."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UA3I72/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ

Thanks again.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:13 am

The hardware seems OK to me.
I've not seen that brand of dock, but it has all of the right features.

As far as whether to use a free version, except for my use of Acronis, I've always used the free version, whether it be Easus, Macrium, or AOMEI.

Here are some good tutorials:
Easus:
http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=133722
Macrium:
http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=134008
Peru

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Here's a comparison of free vs home vs workstation. I notice "home free" doesn't include system transfer. That's the same feature that Acronis calls Universal Restore. I remember you had that with Acronis. If you don't need that or the other features of the paid versions, free looks adequate.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:05 pm

I personally don't like Western Digital drives, prefer Seagate myself. I am slightly familiar with Anker products and am not a fan of those either. I can highly recomment the BlacX drive dock, you can even get dual drive versions.

I have used the EaseUS free and Workstation versions, both are excellent and both will clone a hard drive perfectly. I agree with Bob, start with the free version, no need to pay for stuff you don't need. If you find that you need more you can always upgrade.

Thanks for the comparison link Bob :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Water Cooler