They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Norton Security Supports Win10 but not Edge?

Talk about anything here.

Norton Security Supports Win10 but not Edge?

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:01 pm

We have a number of machines, phones and tablets on one Norton account.

We were in the process of adding a Win10 laptop when we noticed in the fine print that Norton Security does not support Microsoft's Edge browser. It's not a problem as we prefer Firefox anyway.

Anyone have a clue why Edge is not supported?

:conf:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Norton Security Supports Win10 but not Edge?

Postby Chris B » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:59 am

Compatibility of Norton Toolbar and Norton Identity Safe with Microsoft Edge browser

After you upgrade to Windows 10, and have Microsoft Edge as your default browser, the Norton product may alert you to select a supported browser.
Is Microsoft Edge compatible with Norton Identity Safe?

Based on information Microsoft has provided to date, several browser-based protection and identity features that are provided in Norton products are not compatible with Edge, including Identity Safe, Norton Toolbar, Safe Search, Safe Web, Antiphishing, and Scam Insight.

Microsoft has indicated that it will continue to improve Edge and will allow more browser extensions in the near future.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/v113038371_EndUserProfile_en_us
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks for the reply and link, Chris.

:TU:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:43 am

Whilst we're here - this is a very interesting article talking about how anti-virus may actually be more harm than good.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-t ... us-is-bad/

Worth thinking about since you're on Win10 already.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:45 pm

For the browser, Norton Security runs as an extension. Microsoft wants extensions to come from the Microsoft Store and is restricting who can provide them. The Edge extensions are based on the Chrome extension architecture so it should be relatively easy to port the Norton Chrome extensions providing that Edge provides comparable programming interfaces. I don't know whether it's an Edge programming interface issue or whether Microsoft and Symantec/Norton have not yet come to an agreement -- maybe both.

The article Chris B linked to is interesting, but misleading. Keep in mind it's written from the standpoint of a browser creator. If I were a browser creator, I would probably complain about the same things. But, there is a certain myopia in looking at it just from the browser perspective. Not all exposures come from web browsing and intrusions can come from other Internet protocols. Keeping the OS up to date with security patches is essential, but is not enough, I would not want to run without an antivirus program.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:56 pm

Bob wrote: Keeping the OS up to date with security patches is essential....

"Hi Bob,"*

My concern: I haven't updated Win7 for many months for the following reason: Ask Woody has been MS DEFCON-2 for all that time.

However, the very first action that I take after booting is to click Live Update in NIS and then open either FF or IE 11 only after the NIS update has completed.

Question: Is there a better practice?

Thank you.

___
*Source of quote: The Bob Newhart Show, from the days, long ago, when we would still occasionally watch a MSM TV show.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:32 pm

George Tyndall wrote:I haven't updated Win7 for many months ....

IMO, the longer you go without updating, the more vulnerable you become, as opposed to the belief that it's more secure.

I've been using Win10 and Windows Defender since inception without a single issue.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:36 pm

It certainly doesn't hurt to run Live Update every boot. But, Norton Security does do Live Update on a timed basis while the system is running anyway. I have noticed that program updates as opposed to malware signatures and definitions tend to not get applied as frequently -- possibly because they sometimes require a reboot to be applied and Norton may be trying to avoid interruptions. So, I do run Live Update manually myself from time to time just to be sure they get applied sooner rather than later.

Be sure to run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool when it becomes available each month.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Ask Woody, it is a good site to get information and news about patches and issues that affect Windows and Word. It would be nice if Microsoft always produced trouble free patches, but they don't. And, the past month or so Microsoft has released a number of problematical patches. Ask Woody uses a "Defcon" system to assist you in deciding whether you want to apply the current patches or defer them until the bugs have been fixed. See this page for a definition of the levels. This is less useful to Windows 10 users as they don't have the same control over when to install patches as the prior Windows versions.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Bob wrote:Be sure to run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool when it becomes available each month.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, this I always do, as recommended by Woody.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler