They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New Tutorial Ideas

Talk about anything here.

Re: New Tutorial Ideas

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:29 am

I agree with John, Scott Kelby's Photoshop Elements books are great too :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Helen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:27 pm

Thanks John
I'll have a look for the books. Maybe I can add them to my wish list for Christmas
Helen :santa:
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:11 pm

Helen,

Here are a couple of other layers books you may want to consider. I'm not sure whether you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, but much of what's in them should apply to Photoshop Elements. Especially if you've downloaded some of the add-on layer mask tools.

Matt Kloskowski has a new book coming out soon: http://www.amazon.com/Layers-Complete-P ... 171&sr=1-1
Matt's books are generally easy to follow, much along the lines of Scott Kelby's books.

Richard Lynch has one out now: http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-L ... 171&sr=1-3
His books tend to be a bit more advanced and go more into the theory and why of things. If that type of book appeals to you, take a look at this one. I haven't seen it, but it's fairly new and should be showing up in your local book store. I'd browse before I bought just to be sure the style fits your learning patterns.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:47 am

Jan & jayell, you may already have this....The PE2 Snap book has a bonus online chapter with all of the effects & transitions listed. I printed it out and write notes in the margins as I try different things. Have a notebook going that I add settings or effects that I use or tips posted here. Quite a collection in 1 year! Also have a practice project in PE3 with stills & video that I experiment when I get a chance. Sometimes I think that I do things the long way only to find out months later I could have skipped a step or used a different effect, etc.

Jan, what an accident! Speedy recovery!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:58 am

The PE2 Snap book has a bonus online chapter with all of the effects & transitions listed.

That is what you will find in the Articles section here at muvipix :)
articles/?p=4
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:20 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:
The PE2 Snap book has a bonus online chapter with all of the effects & transitions listed.

That is what you will find in the Articles section here at muvipix :)
articles/?p=4

Thanks Chuck (and your reference, Mom)! It's still nice to see what things 'look' like, but there's some great info here! I must have missed this when I look through these articles once before.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Helen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:45 am

Bob

Thanks for the book suggestions. I will be going shopping later tonight and will see if I can find any of the books. One problem though, I tend to browse too long in bookstores and I may not finish my other shopping :-D . Oh well, there is always tomorrow for grocery shopping.

I have Photoshop Elements 4.0 loaded and I have received my new version PE6.0, but have not yet loaded it. I will be moving all my photos onto another drive before I load it (ran out of space)
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Helen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:49 am

Bob and John

Had a look in the shops tonight and the only recommended book I could find was "Scott Kelby's 7-Point System for Photoshop". This book looked pretty good, but I will try to find the others so I can compare them. One bookstore had the other three books listed, but under special orders only.
The shops are getting so frantic already, I will have to try and find a quiet moment first up in the day to go shopping before the crowds get there.
Thanks again
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:35 pm

Hello Helen,

IMHO the "The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers", which takes you step by step through particular techniques in the same way that Chuck and Steve's "....in a Snap" does, is really useful for when you want to 'do' a particular task but are not too sure how.

The "Scott Kelby's 7-Point System for Photoshop" is really aimed at getting you proficient in some key insights in how to apply the various photo correction techniques in the best sequence to get good results. These two books really do get you started in Photoshop.

I have also tried one of the 'Photoshop Bible' publications and these are great if you know what you want to do - but therein lies the rub. These books are great reference material but they assume that you know what it is that you want to do.

A third book that I have found very useful is "Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Photographers" by Martin Evening. Again, my opinion, but with these three books you will be flying!! :-D :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:47 pm

I have this book http://www.kelbytraining.com/?page=product&id=55 and refer to it often.
All of his books are for sale here http://www.kelbytraining.com/books.html

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jay » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Chuck
How about doing a tutorial, for beginner on different page turning technique/tricks. I know other people on the forum have submitted their ideas but its a little deep for me.
Jay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:35 pm

Thanks for the request Jay, I will see what can be done.
Maybe I will just create a video tutorial out of Chris B's great Album Page Turn.
I've got it on my list :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:02 pm

I've got an idea for a tutorial: text effects in PE4.

I just spent a frustrating 15 minutes trying to create an effect on some recurring text. I wanted the end result to be a particular typeface (Bard) with a white glow around it, so it can be seen against whatever the background happens to be.

So I started out choosing the 30th of the "Text Styles" presets selections -- it's Adobe Caslon Pro in blue with a nice white ghost around it. Except I don't want italics. So when I changed the typeface and switched off italics... suddenly the type has a back-slant to it. And it's like that with every typeface I tried.

Ok, so I tried the 63rd selection (when you hover over it, it says Caslon Red 84), which is a Caslon with a red glow. I changed that to Bard, changed the type color to a light purple, but still wanted to get a white glow... uh... how? Can't figure it out.

So now apparently I'm out of choices for a white glow without a back-slant on the type.

I've got to be missing something, and it would be great to have a tutorial that goes through each of the choices on that obtuse type selector and talks about what each does.
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:01 pm

I will definitely put that one on my list Gerry, but first I have to learn how it works.
Even in testing we had a hard time figuring it all out, everyone was quite confused.

Being that this is the first version with animated text I'm sure it will get better and easier in versions to come.
I will take some time and try to get the basics of how it works, maybe even get some help, then get a tutorial out in the next couple months.
Sorry that doesn't help you now but I already have a list of 9 tutorials I am trying to get done for the 1 year anniversary on Feb 19th.
Some of them have 2 and 3 parts too. On top of all that I can't get Captivate to work on my new computer, maybe I should upgrade to version 3?

Thanks for the suggestion, it is a good one and I will get around to it as soon as possible :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: New Tutorial Ideas APE4 Templates

Postby westport1992 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:50 am

Hi Chuck:

Could you provide a Tutorial on taking Muvipix Templates for APE4. I followed
the guidelines in the Tutorial, but it is for APE2 ... having to for your APE4 users
would be beneficial.

Thanks - Debi Koebel, Hanover Ontario Canada
westport1992

PreviousNext

Return to Water Cooler