They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New Tutorial Ideas

Talk about anything here.

Re: New Tutorial Ideas

Postby ridon127 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:39 pm

I saw some of the backgrounds you mentioned, Cinde, but I thought maybe I had just missed them with so many being added. Senior moments are occuring more and more frequently..

As for tutorials, I am game for just about anything, but I would like more step by step on different kinds of effects. I am so limited on how to do stuff. But I have improved greatly in the last few months.
Thanks so much
Donna
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:47 pm

I agree with the 'effects' idea, Donna. I know there are soooo many available. I've always thought that what would be helpful is not so much a "how to" .. but just a sampling of what many of the effects look like. Once I know that, then I may know which ones I want to spend time fooling with. There's so many it's sort of overwhelming when you go in and want to try something new. Seeing samples in the gallery are interesting, but I don't necessarily know what effects are being used.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Cinde » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:56 pm

For Jan Hough: When I first joined this forum less than a year ago, I was a beginner. I read EVERY post on the forum. I asked so many questions that I was afraid Ron would boot me right out of the forum... But that wasn't the case.

Almost everything I have learned about making videos has been right here on this forum. Another BIG help has been owning a copy of the "All in One" book that Chuck wrote and "In A Snap" by Chuck and Steve. After I got a taste of the "free" products I couldn't wait to get a membership subscription. After all this I very seldom need to surf the internet for anything else.

I'm with Donna and Jayell on the "effects".

Chuck, I had thought about asking you for "samples" of the things that can be done with After Effects. I've read quite a bit about it, but I've not been able to find samples. Quoting you from a previous post: From what I have seen I think all of that can be created with After Effects. http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=817
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:44 am

Well, as a start, all of the motion backgrounds are created with After Effects :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:18 am

I switched to 4.0 some weeks ago so from my point of view I'd be more interested in tutorials oriented towards the latest version. When the time is right I'd also like something on the Organizer (currently it doesn't make sense as far as I'm concerned) and something on effects would also be helpful reference material. Thanks in advance and keep up the pressure! :-)

Cheers, Brian.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Jan Hough » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:54 pm

Thank you for your comments.

My current project (my second) is a picture slideshow of my granddaughter’s first year w/a movie in the middle of her dressed like a flower (‘home grown’ was the theme) in the county fair baby contest. Her first birthday is next week and I want it completed to show at her party–so I am rushing and not taking the time to learn as I normally do when I approach new things. I love to read and explore, but since I had a deadline a lot of it was just playing until it looked ok.

I admit I am a dang perfectionist and am expecting (wishing) my attempt could look as good as those I have watched on muvipix.

I am very happy with the pictures I chose and think I found perfect music–but, I feel that my transitions/effects are not as smooth as they could be if I really knew how to fine-tune them correctly.

After next week, I will start reviewing everything available and probably bug the heck out of everyone. I am a member of the website and bought the ‘In a Snap’ book–it has been very helpful.

And, I didn’t mention that I am doing this w/one hand–I broke a few bones in a bizarre accident a few weeks ago–so I am plugging along!

Chuck–I went to the Lynda.com website–that would be great!

Thank you again and I have already learned so much from joining muvipix…this ol lady will get there!
Jan Hough

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:22 pm

I have no doubt that you will achieve greatness Jan :)

Take a look at the two tutorials on using Transitions, they should help.
Be sure to learn all of the keyboard shortcuts you can, that will help your one handed problem and make you even faster when you have both hands back.
Sorry to hear about your hand by the way, I do admire your go after it attitude though :)

Transition Tutorials (Gradient Wipe and Cross Dissolve)
http://muvipix.com/products.php?maincat ... ubcat_id=6

Keyboard Shortcuts, list of Effects and Transitions and what they do;
articles/?p=4
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:28 pm

Found 2 videos on Premiere Elements 2.0 on effects and transitions set at the default settings. Gives you an idea of what is available in the program. Of course it does not go into detail and does not compare with the in depth tutorials here, but worth a watch.

Transitions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkx-ZJL0gTY&feature=user

Effects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDaPOEVBPqs
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:55 pm

That was a great find, Mom! THAT's exactly what I'm looking for! Show me what it can do .. then I can play with the interesting looking ones. Some of the effects were a little hard to tell what they were demonstrating, but that was a great start! I'm going to go back and look at those and make notes of the ones I want to investigate :)
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Helen » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:32 pm

Bob and Chuck
Sorry for the delay in reply (have not been online for a few days).
I would like to learn a bit more about layers in Photoshop. I do use layers, but I feel that sometimes how I achieve effects may be the hard way, and there might be a simpler/shorter way.
I have replaced heads and added people to some of my photos before, along with removing ojbects in the background, but my process seems fairly long and tedious. The other thing I am sometimes not sure about, is what order do I do things in, eg. do I correct the colour first, add the extra person, or do I remove the ojbects in the background first etc.
Most of the time I achieve the look I am after, but I do so after a lot of trial and error. I suppose there is no real easy answer and experimenting is the only way to learn.
I would also be interested in a tutorial on how to create fancy text. Text that looks like it is metallic, or melting.

Next year I will be compiling a printed yearbook for my daughters school and I am especially interested in how to create a single photo image from multiple photos. The type of photo where you get several photos, feather/soften the edges and blend them altogether to create a photo montage. This would be my first choice for a tutorial about photoshop.

Thanks
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jan Hough » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:52 pm

Thank you Chuck and Cheryl. This is exactly what I am looking for. If both hands were working I would do a cartwheel…well, probably not a smart thing to do…although the guys in the emergency room wouldn’t be surprised if I appeared there again.

Might as well share my story–my latest accident was a head-on collision with a goat while riding my bike. (No it isn’t on film–too bad). I broke my nose, really messed up my face, lacerated top and bottom of one finger and severed the flexor tendon…had surgery last week–currently have a pin holding everything together. The emergency crew wanted to send a picture of me to the Grey’s Anatomy writers (but they are on strike). I was singing “I’m so pretty...” (after the pain meds kicked in).

Not a scratch on the bike or my goat.

Two years ago I had a horseback riding accident–a few broken bones. Same hospital. My friends are calling me Humpty Dumpty.

I am hoping that PE-3 is not as dangerous as my pets. Thanks again, Jan
Jan Hough

Postby Jay » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:38 pm

Chuck
I have all yours and Steve’s tutorials on my hard drive and I refer to them when I get stuck. You asked for suggestions for your upcoming tutorials. I think what would be helpful for me, as a new comer to video editing, is that you could use your (PE2 in a Snap) book as a template. Turn each of the chapters into a tutorial. That way you can update the material to PE3 or PE4 at the same time and get rid of things that pertain to PE2. If you could fit them in, put in as many tips and tricks that you and Steve have come up with in your travels. That would be the icing on the cake.
Jay
PS: I believe that will keep you busy for the rest of your life or it may be it’s an ideal for another book from you guys.
Jay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:32 pm

Jay, I actually started the tutorials a few years ago with the idea in mind of following the book, then I got off track.
I will try to pick out a couple of tasks from the book to do a version 4 version of :)

Jan, Wow, that is some story. I can guarantee you that Premiere Elements is not as dangerous as your animals, I haven't broken a single bone yet :)
I have gotten a few paper cuts, but that is about it. I hope you are healing well and quickly ;)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Cinde » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:40 am

Jan, that sure is a tragic story. Too bad it isn't on video. I hope your pic and story does get sent to some writers, they couldn't write a script that well.

Was the finger injury on you dominant hand? I know it has to be a huge burden especially during the holidays. You can sing "All I want for Christmas is my flexor tendon fixed."

I wish you a speedy recovery.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:53 am

Helen says:

I would like to learn a bit more about layers in Photoshop. I do use layers, but I feel that sometimes how I achieve effects may be the hard way, and there might be a simpler/shorter way.
I have replaced heads and added people to some of my photos before, along with removing ojbects in the background, but my process seems fairly long and tedious. The other thing I am sometimes not sure about, is what order do I do things in, eg. do I correct the colour first, add the extra person, or do I remove the ojbects in the background first etc.
Most of the time I achieve the look I am after, but I do so after a lot of trial and error.

Helen, two books that I have found to be very useful for getting up to speed with photoshop:

"The Photoshop Book for Digital Photograohers" by Scott Kelby - very similar in style to Chuck and Steve's "...in a Snap" book in that it takes you step by step through particular techniques.

"Scott Kelby's 7-Point System for Photoshop" - this one gives you insight into a standard way of working so that you learn the best way to apply the various photo correction processes in the best sequence to get good reults.

HTH :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

PreviousNext

Return to Water Cooler